Ce6

Update for those of you who got interested in the NIR eyedrops (ref NIR thread) using Ce6 as a light increasing mechanism:

We should have them ready soon. Basically, I'm just making sure that I can get the amounts right and not scorch your eyes. The papers and patents we have access to are very specific in some regards and very vague in others. As @Cassox mentioned, this chemical is used in lazering cancer cells (my paraphrase) so obviously, exploding your eye bits by tiny molecular focuses of daylight would... suck.

Progress is being made. It's just me reading and then mixing things together and measuring light bits.

For those who are ready to chip in and talk about that patent, their amounts are theoretical and were used just to lock the patent down. Got get this right so nobody gets hurt. Eyes are important

Anyone have any questions, let me know.
Tagged:

Comments

• When you have the recipe fleshed out will you post it?
  • Of course. I'm actually expecting some of you more science minded folks to pick at it a bit. I should have more updates by this time next week.
  • So, a cool update on the eyedrops.
    We've been struggling to understand why the patent uses insulin as a transporter. Like, why insulin? It shouldn't change permeability or anything.

Turns out that there is a paper about how ABCG2. ABCG2 in turn, inhibits Ce6 transport. So by using insulin instead of saline or something else, it actually the Ce6 to get absorbed into the eye! I'll drop the paper into the community folder if anyone is interested.
  • What are the visual effects and what nm range are the eye drops sensitive to?  Sometimes I do infrared photography with a Sigma camera and trees look pinkish red and more stars can be seen and am wondering how they'd be similar and different to the eye drops. 
  • A great time to do some more updates. DirectorX was down here the other day and we were brainstorming about how to go about testing these drops for effectiveness.

You see, the thing is, we aren't sure if the drops will just work merely as a light amplifier in general (dim becomes bright, etc) or if due to a photon shift (the mechanism for light amplification is a bit odd for this thing) we will be getting vision outside of normal range.

The short answer is, I can't answer your question, sorry.

Doing some testing today. vials will be mailed out shortly. Almost done, finally!
  • Please be sure any info that was discovered here, and any information that comes out ends up with a wiki entry for CE6
  • Will do! Thanks for the reminder

• It's okay.  It's fun to speculate on the effects though.  I put Congo blue gels behind my sunglass lenses because even during the daytime some cars now have their lights on and it's annoying so it greatly cuts them down and vastly reduces the distraction.  One can't see green or yellow with them but yellow looks like a weird pinkish red color while green is a bluish gray and trees that are normally green are...pinkish red?  Yes, don't know why.  What does this have to do with anything?  Simple, the infrared will likely create similar effects but without the green cone color blindness.  I'm not saying definitively the drops will be like that but is a personal hypothesis. 
  • Any updates on these drops? I'm looking forward to trying this out.
  • We have mixed them, tested them, and are in the final tests to see how well they work. We have passed the oh god oh god my eyes section and now are in are in the oh does it actually work phase
  • Those are the best descriptions ever. XD
  • Hooray! I don't know if I'll buy some of the first batch, but if we distribute the recipe, I'll probably try my hand at making some. 
  • Definitely sounds like something I would buy, about how long would one package/bottle/quantum of eyedrops last? Any permanent effects or is it entirely temporary?
  • The paperwork says 2 hrs up to peak efficiency, 6hrs down. THere has been no testing about how that would be measured, but that's what we have to work with.
  • @TheGreyKnight

I looked up the extraction process for Ce6, you need very specialized (presumably very expensive) equipment and a long time for it. 

"

The following procedure was reported in
    Oncology Reports, 2009, 22(5). 1085-1091 by
    Korean scientists Yeon-Hee Moon et al.

Live chlorella (Chlorella ellipsoidea) 100 g (dried weight) was
    sequentially washed with 500 ml of water and 300 ml of 50% ethanol in
    water to remove polar materials and the residue was extracted twice with
    500 ml of 100% ethanol to obtain chlorophyll a rich fraction (extraction
    yield 4.3%). Stirring the combined ethanol solution of chlorophyll a in
    1 N HCl (pH 2.5) for 3 h at room temperature afforded pheophytin in the
    form of precipitates. The precipitate was dissolved in dichloromethane
    washed with distilled water, dried with anhydrous sodium sulfate, and
    rotary-evaporated to dryness. The residue was purified by a
    chromatography using neutral alumina (Aldrich, Brockmann, ~150 mesh)
    with a gradient elution from 30% dichloromethane in n-hexane to 100%
    dichloromethane. The main green band was collected and evaporated to
    dryness. The crystalline powder was dissolved in acetone, adjusted pH
    12.0 with 1 N NaOH, and stirred for 12 h. The precipitated Ce6 was
    filtered, washed with acetone and dissolved in 100 ml of water, and
    filtered to remove insoluble impurity. After lyophilization of the
    filtered water solution, a fine black powder of Ce6 was obtained. The
    purity of Ce6 is 93-98% (yield of Ce6: 1% from dried weight of
    chlorella
    )"

From

http://www.medkoo.com/bio-reagents/ChlorinE6.htm

Otherwise it would sound like a wonderful home project.  I'd love to order some drops too but if they're out of my price range I can understand why. 

• I wasn't planning on isolating the compound itself (though the various chemicals don't seem too pricey, and I'm sure my university lab would love to let me have a go at this) . Though I cringe at the mention of a roto-vap system, because I've heard they're very pricey.
  • Cmon guys, just jam that shit in your eyes and let us know the results!
  • @AgemFrostMage the only procedure that requires expensive equipment is the lipholization (freeze drying) of the compound, requires some pretty expensive equipment. All other procedures and chemicals are readily available organic and inorganic solvents, and you would only need some Erlenmeyer flasks, separatory funnel, magnetic stir bar with a hot plate, and a couple other pieces of glassware for the chromatography. Could probably get everything except the freeze-dryer for a relatively low cost.
  • @Griskard Shit has been jammed in eyes and the results are in :)

We are keeping a little bit for further testing to get some serious quantitative data, but at this point, I am saying this is a legit hack. Night vision successfully increased (subjective, but also I'm pretty sure I could take you out in a forest). No NIR that we know of. Effects wear off after 6 hours.

Those of you who chipped in, I am bottling that stuff in a day or two after I recover from Grindfest, and then whoosh off it goes. I will have a sheet of proper applications care etc and Cass will be fact checking my work so you guys don't lose an eye.

I'm gonna say this now. Do not do this during the day. Seriously.

• I've forgotten how many doses I ordered, but for future reference do you have any plans to coordinate with @Amal and sell these throughDangerousThings? Or to put it another way, is there a way for us to order more if we like what we see? Can they be stored in the freezer or a wine cellar to "stock up"?
  •  Any left up for grabs? I thought this would be miles off and didn't realise everyone had stumped up already. Depends on cost shipped over the pond though really.
  • What ended up being the final "recipe" as it were. Did you end up using insulin?
  • Well, if I understood him correctly, Insulin was a requirement for the drops to work.
  • Seconding the interest from ZombieGristle here. I didn't realize how quickly thing were moving. Any plans for future batches?
  • Well it turns out that I may have a little bit more than planned due to getting some for testing. PM me 
  • Just to answer the question that keeps popping up. You can not have this in your eyes and be in a well lit room. No light bulbs or flashlights, no computer screens. The chemical takes 2 hours to take effect and you should basically be keeping your eyes safe the whole time. Contacts are ok, post application.
  • So when can I get this and where? I would be glad to set something up.
  • let me dose out what we have and then we can discuss logistics for people just tapping in.
  • depending on what's left over I *may* hop in but i dunno yet. still the overnight shipping issue
  • Actually, as long as it takes less than a week, I may not have to overnight it. Since we are the proud owners of a flow spectophotometer now, I am gonna take a little bit out and let it sit on the counter and check for how much degradation actually happens.