Big ass magnets that you inject with a syringe!

edited February 2015 in Magnets
So, there was some talk about injectable magnets. Conversations about lifting spoons like the left edge of your hand has mutant powers...

It's not like we didn't warn you that big magnets with this type of power would probably bruise your hand bits.

So, tada, announcing the m63. A big block of magnet-y goodness. All the power and sweet coating goodness of the m31, but scaled up to the size that makes me uncomfortable offering it to people. Literally. Please don't f' around with this guys. -_-

On the other hand, it can be injected which does away with all that awkward hacking at your hands action. Suggested areas are side of your hands or anywhere else where you can do a subdermal. Please don't shoot this into your meats...

@Amal and @Cassox and I will tell you more as they come along. Give it a couple weeks, just giving y'alls a heads up :)

Comments

• This sounds fun... Kinda a silly question, but why call it the M63? 6mm x 3mm?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nice! Never really considered something like this but on the side of the hand could be cool!
  • No, your hand will not fall off. The safety is more a matter of how powerful a properly made magnet of that size would be in your hand. Misuse or putting close to powerful electromagnetic sources may cause issues.

As for a size comparison, we'll take picture when they are ready. For now, remember what the m31 looked like? Now imagine stacking 5 more on top of the first one. That what it will look like. And yes, the name refers to the size. Amal comes up with this stuff...
  • Oh now this is exciting! Is it safe to assume the healing process with a needle is a little less lengthy and intensive than the traditional slice-and-slip-it-in?

• Yes. It is however, less elegant (for lack of a better term). With a needle injection, you are basically punching a hole into the area and stuffing something in. For something this size, it doesn't matter so much, but at the same time, it's not as good as a well done surgical style implant.
  • Properly coated cylindrical magnets. Great, as injecting is always more manageable one-handed than more complex self-surgery.
    Bigass cylindrical magnets. Less great, although I suppose there are good reasons for them to be so big.
  • I know very little of anatomy or physiology stuff, but I have been pierced... a lot.

Piercers use hollow needles, taking out a piece of flesh before they put the jewelry in. When I was young I had my ears and nostril done with a "gun" where they don't remove any flesh- it just kind of shoves the jewelry through. Not pleasant at all.

My question is, with a cylinder... instead of just injecting the magnet, would it be better in terms of pain and healing to first remove some flesh? I'm not exactly sure how I'd do that, maybe a hollow needle at an angle. (I'm doing a lot of research before I do anything at all.) I'm guessing that whole idea wouldn't work well in places like your fingertips... chances of removing nerves and other good stuff?
  • Well, I'm just being flippant when calling them big ass. They are roughly the same size as other cylindrical magnets offered by other people. It's just that they have been coated properly and haven't been exposed to processes that reduce their power.

The injection process is mush like the implantation of an rfid chip. In that respect, the magnet is being placed in the subcutaneous layer of the hand (or wherever) not into the flesh it's self. Removal of meats is totally overkill and may cause issues.
  • If you were going to use this method to implant one, yes or no to pain management, and if yes, what would you do? Nerve Block? Ice?
  • Don't bother. Because the process is so fast, there is no legitimate need for a pain blocker. That's where the appeal for the injection comes in. You just poke it in. I suggest following protocol of course, but the protocol is basically tent the skin, jab the needle, press the plunger while drawing needle out slowly, smack a piece of gauze on it.
  • Ohhhh yey! I have 2 m31s in my right fingers and can't wait to get a powerful one in the edge of my left hand! Thank you!
  • If you had 2 m31s, could you stack them to make them stronger or similair to this?
  • Jaaz, yes and no. So yes, magnets do stack in that two magnets together form a field equivalent to a single solid magnet. There are also a few interesting ways to arrange magnets in order to change field shape. In terms of stacking the m31s, I'd fear that units would be mechanically shifted around. The friction could degrade the surfaces over time. Additionally, there is some risk of the magnets being seperated by mechanical force and then pinching down on tissue. The small bit of necrotic tissue would then more than likely cause rejection/problems.
  • Very nice.  I'll be doing one on the edge of my left hand as soon as these become available.  My ntag went in so smoothly, virtually painless and healed super fast.  I expect these will go very similarly.
  • Oh sweet!! I've been waiting for just this. Two in my fingers, and a bit on the side ;)

@jessicka Having had many piercings myself, I absolutely have to disagree. Piercing needles are NOT designed to remove flesh like an apple corer, but rather to separate skin and flesh (usually for the absorption of liquids through the subcutaneous layers) without doing any major damage. If you are coring your flesh, you're most certainly doing it wrong.
  • Well, not always. The way we use piercing needles for implants are like you describe, but I think when people get their ears gauged, the needles are sometimes used to remove ear bits. I think it depends of if you are slow stretching up or trying to start at 2's or something. I could be wrong...
  • You might be thinking of - finish your dinner first - dermal punches for ear gauging ;) That actually does remove a (pretty hefty) chunk of flesh and is a rather barbaric procedure compared to a slow stretch. Healing is slow, full-closure healing very unlikely, and many people can't stretch much beyond the gauge of the punched hole. Dermal anchors are also punched in but as they're fairly tiny they usually heal up alright.

+1 to Youtube Guy for having the balls though!
  • edited November 2014
    To those asking about size, a headphone jack would be a good comparison.
    Just under half the length, and just slightly thinner around.

Excited to hear more about these!
  • I'm guessing something that large wouldn't settle well in even particularly fleshy but active fingerpads, yes?
    I've already got some small cylinders on the ulnar side of my hand, and once handstanding class ends I'll be adding an m31 to the left ring fingerpad. Would upgrading another fingertip (thinking right middle) be suitable? Or would exploring the dorsal side of the wrist be a better option?
  • I have a magnet in my left middle finger which was inserted through a piercing needle, outside diameter 6mm I think.

I'd suggest pain management would be a good idea if you're putting it in a finger...

The needle did not punch a hole through the skin. It appeared to make a sort of flap which folded back to allow the magnet in. The skin was fairly loose for a day or so once folded back into place by withdrawal of the needle and eventually healed back. Now, two months in, the entry site is still quite sensitive and the scar tissue can be felt fairly readily.

• I was wondering about how well it would sit in a finger tip too. I only have small fingers. 

Also, I was wondering about injecting into the lip, would it be viable?
  • Waaaay to big for the lip....
  • Ok, cheers.
  • edited November 2014
    is this 3mm diameter x 6mm long or  the other way around

• If it is wouldn't m36 be a more logical name at it would maintain the conventionset by the m31 of diameter first?
  • edited November 2014
    @glims talked about size earlier in the thread.  6mm long with a 3mm diameter.  I would say that the name is just using the larger dimension first as for reason.
  • Ask @Amal man. We don't name 'em, that's all him.
  • Any idea on pricing for these? 2-3 times the M31?

And will there be the initial discount batch like with the M31s?
  • More things to add on to the list of "Things That Involve @Amal".

We just make the suckers. Though I would guess that triplicate pricing will not be the case.