An Informal and Rudimentary Analysis of Implant Data

edited January 2017 in Magnets
After stumbling across and looking through some previously collected implant data here I noticed that no one had really processed nor publicly drawn any conclusions from it. In the spirit of learning more about what the data was trying to say, I put together a few graphs to help make sense of the numbers. 

Figure 1 depicts the number of successful and rejected magnet implantations along with a category called other, where I lumped in magnets that were voluntarily removed, became demagnetized, or deviated in any way from a success/failure binary. All told, 77 magnets (one case was excluded due to lack of data) were analyzed in total, of which 48 (62.3%) were successfully accepted by the implantee, 23 (29.9%) were rejected, and 6 (7.79%) fell into the "other" category.  

Figure 2 breaks down success/failure rates of each implant by type of magnet involved. It's important to note here that sample sizes varied widely. In descending order of popularity: M31 (n = 49), Haworth Silicone (n = 14), parylene-coated implants (n = 8), FDA2T (n = 3), gold-plated 4mm magnets (n = 2), and M36(n = 1). Hypothesized reasons for this distribution are introduced below. Where percents are given in decimal form and (S = success, F = failure/rejection, O = other). Haworth Silicone S = 0.786, F = 0.143, O = 0.071. M31 S = 0.571, F = 0.367, O = 0.061. FDA2T S = 0.333, O = 0.667. Gold-plated 4mm S = 0.5, O = 0.5. Parylene-coating S = 0.875, F = 0.125. M36 S = 1.

One of the most interesting things the implant data reveals is the extreme popularity of M31s. More of them were implanted than all other types combined, making up 63.6% of all implants. I suspect the reason is due to the sheer popularity of the magnet within the community; the magnet itself (along with its big brother the M36) is on backorder until further notice. Hell, the forum itself has a dedicated magnet status thread just to keep up with their status. However, it's also worth noting the other major group of implanted magnets: the Haworth Silicone. It's no wonder that biohackers would go the man who popularized dermal magnets (according to wikipedia, anyways) to get theirs. Considering his travel schedule, it's not unlikely that they received their magnets during an event Haworth was attending or going to Arizona to get theirs personally done. The rest come from other, less popular miscellaneous sources.

So what do you guys think? 
Tagged:

Comments

• This is great, and very useful.

That gold has a lot of "other" is a bit surprising.
  • Considering that sample size n=2 for the gold magnets, really all that 0.5 means is that one was successful and the other was outside the binary. Bigger sample sizes are really what's needed to paint an accurate picture of how successful each magnet type actually is. Only having two to go off of can be pretty misleading. 
  • :D USEFUL!