x

x
Tagged:

Comments

• This looks amazing, thanks for all the hard work! I imagine if it works as expected when implanted it could really help with a bunch of projects. Is it passive like an NFC? Has it been tested with implantation? And what sort of things can be programmed/attached to it?
  • edited November 2016

• What happened?  This seemed like just the thing to power an implant.  I didn't realise this was already being done.

My original thought for my own idea (a simple LED in a glass tube) was to hook the receiving coil up to a diode (or 4 diodes if enough space) to get DC power out to power the LED and charge a yet to be found or built super capacitor.  The hope is that a quick charge could power or maybe just flash the LED until it runs out of power.  Hopefully that is at least 5 minutes.

I haven't done any more than think about this project but the flexible circuit board was something I hadn't thought of.  

Quick story:  Years ago, when I lived close to an AM radio station, I built a simple crystal radio to listen to that station.  I had a long wire for an antenna wrapped around the room and the audio out (remember crystal radios get their power from the radio waves) was loud enough to hear without placing the headphone on if the room was quiet.

As a test, I stuck an LED in place of the headphone (I think) and it would light that LED when tuned to that local station.  Unfortunately, they cut their power way down after dark so I never tried to use it as a light.

I used a lot of wire for the antenna plus the radio had a coil with lots more wire plus I was pretty close to the radio tower but there are radio waves of all kinds all around us.  

• The mythbusters actually did a test once to see how well you could power a bunch of incandescent Lights using just ambient radio waves. Of course part of their problem was the low efficiency of incandescent bulbs and the fact they did their test inside of their metal warehouse testing building. I think it's perfectly viable tompower something small like that provided you can fit a large enough antenna. I'd optimize it for wifi and cellular LTE frequencies as those are probably the most plentiful these days.

Personally, I have no intention of attempting to make an implant powered by that as that would rely on a non-portable charging source. Despite being widespread, it's not sufficient for me.
  • What happened to OP? Did something happen or did you decide you didn't want to share it?