Do any of you guys homeschool? (Or were homeschooled?)

natnat
edited October 2016 in Community
I was homeschooled. I had an amazing experience. I've been volunteering for a homeschooling project the past few weeks and started wondering about biohackers. I imagine that the freedom of homeschooling could provide a lot of awesome opportunities. Additionally, I know that in some of my free time as a homeschooler I was able to do research on my own about supplements and nootropics which built some intiial interest into biohacking.

Comments

• I was till high school.
  • I was. Uh. Always was. My interest in bio hacking didn't develop until after high school though, so I don't think my being homeschooled is super relevant. Though I suppose it fits my mental state better than any sort of public school would have.
  • Interesting. I've recently started to get really fascinated with the characteristics that accompany homeschoolers. Some homeschoolers really thrived in ways that others didn't. But lots of times there seems to be a clear divide between who had incredibly positive experiences and who didn't (or doesn't even realize they didn't). I've been working on a project called in their words that is pretty much just surveying homeschoolers. Also trying to find some trends and commonalities about people. The impact of one's environment on their behavior fascinates me.... it really changes who we are. Or does it? Maybe it allows for existing characteristics to emerge. 
  • edited October 2016
    Interesting discussion. I am actually glad you brought it up as I can contribute to this one.

My parent's placed me in a private christian school at the age of 5. After finishing the first grade my parents pulled me out of school and started homeschooling me.

Mind you, my parents are extremely conservative christians and this had a huge impact on the education I received. Over half of my coursework throughout the whole of my schooling was biblical in nature.

I was self-taught through high school, spending most days curled up on my bed with my books using every available resource I had in an attempt to understand the courses. It was very difficult, but I definitely learned how to learn and how to be self motivated and independent.

The free time I found as a consequence of being able to work through my studies at my own pace did allow me to explore things that would eventually become my passions. Transhumanism, biohacking, and architecture to name a few. 

My flexible school schedule also allowed me to work full time while in school and as a result I have amassed over 8 years of combined work experience in 10 industries over the past four years (I am 21y/o btw and finished high school at the age of 17 in 2013).

This project you are working on looks like something I would really like to take part in, expect an email from me regarding participation.
  • I went to public school in a rich white neighborhood 
    (i am poor and black)

• I was homeschooled for a year, but my interest was most piqued in an independent scientific research course at my public high school. We were given full reign over the lab and could research whatever interested us. This was somewhat comparable to independent study, as we often worked alone and depended solely on the information we were passionate enough to research. Because of that I was published at the age of 16 and became very interested in research. Not sure how pertinent that is. Curious how many of us were homeschooled.
  • @trybalwolf and @misslitty thanks for the feedback! Super interesting. 

"The free time I found as a consequence of being able to work through my studies at my own pace did allow me to explore things that would eventually become my passions. Transhumanism, biohacking, and architecture to name a few." -- It is so cool to hear this because that is exactly what happened to me in some respects.

"Because of that I was published at the age of 16 and became very interested in research." -- wow, that is so legit. I wish I had tried a little harder to get something of my own published. Only so much time in the day.
  • Glad you found some of the feedback interesting! I am actually in the process of filling out the interview questions right now. Have 8 pages done, with 1 to go. Overall the questions are really interesting and well chosen.
  • I was public schooled.  Most of the home schooled kids I have known were at a more advanced level than those public schooled ones the same age.

I think it has a lot to do with the "teachers" and how interested the student is in what is being taught.  Home schooling (and probably online schooling) should allow the lessons to be tailored to fit the student.  What works for one person might not work for another. 

Home schooling could be done "just enough" to get that diploma the same as in a public school though.  The student still needs to want to learn.  Home schooled kids probably just have a better chance of being led in the direction it takes to make them want to learn.  Once the desire is there, point them in the right direction and let them go learn.  Public schools can't really do that.  You are not the only one needing taught there so it is easy to fall behind and harder to jump ahead.

Just my own thoughts.
  • I also finished early. Only by half the year (finished in December, 5 months sooner than I would have on a normal schedule).

If you'd like to send me a list of questions for your... project... I can answer them and send them back.