Commuity input on biothem reader design

2»

Comments

• without seriously thinking about his yet, I don't think we would need a full loop round the door, i.e. most chip placements will be in arms or core are of the body, so a few smaller coils at the average chest height might be enough.
  • Basically what we are talking about at this point is an anti theft gate at a store, unless I am missing some crucial point. Basically two panels with loops that do a read when something passes through.

If that is the case, do what we do do best. Take that, strip it down, and re-purpose it. No need to reinvent the wheel as it were. Just probably needs a bit of tweaking...
  • edited April 2015
    Fair enough.

Pretty sure they'll be just be loops too... But will definitely save time to reverse engineer it first.

My initial thought about an anti theft device needs 'width' (i.e. if the loops were just 20mm in diameter (door-jam width) as opposed to 200mm+ on a usual device, you might not get enough pickup to read through the body... But as you said  tweaking. 

I think we'll also find that you wont need both panels used in a shop system. Traditionally you had a 'transmitter panel' to activate the chip and a 'receiver panel' but fairly sure good systems (I.e. the ones in your phone) can do both activate and read simultaneously. 

• @AlexSmith

Would you be open to sharing the schematic of your reader? 
    I'd be keep to try and build my own and play with the various door-way options and share the results here.

• glims you are more or less correct, but it's never that simple, standard anti-shoplifting systems use a different frequency, so while we may be able to use the large antennas from them, the circuit would not work for any current implanted RFIDs.

Jhkier even if I shared them with you, they wouldn't help. in order to make my reader smaller/save time, I have used an off the shelf RFID reader module, which is the part of the system you'll need to redesign for a doorway reader.
  • Jhkier I could build a door frame reader, but it would take me months of work, and I'd rather use the time to work on the much more interesting implants which I've got in progress, so I won't do it. But if you do decide to build this, I can give you a bunch of pointers from stuff I learned when building my reader. so PM me or email or something.
  • edited September 2015
  • edited September 2015
  • To be honest, I'm not particularly happy with how this turned out. It does work, and has pretty much all the features people asked for, but even using rather expensive 3D printing for the case doesn't result in a very nice finish, and it takes me ages to solder the internal components together. If I had unlimited time and money, I would keep improving it, but I've wasted far too much time on this already, and I have a number of other far cooler biohacking projects I want to focus my time on, so this will have to do.
  • so curious about this, if you have though about incorporating it into a wearable and bitsyncing the information through either an android phone or aircard attatched to a database for plotting longterm tracking of the information gathered through the bodytemp implant?
  • Very nice Alex. I think if it wasn't as boxy you'd like the look and feel more. People don't usually go for boxy edges and such...at least I dont...

So I was wondering if any of the previous people did anything with the door reader yet? @jhkier

I'm thinking of getting a hold of a friend of mine who manages a store and seeing if they ever trash the old body scanners for theft.
  • c00p3r yes, that was the what I was going for, and it is partly supported in the currently setup, this reader has bluetooth and an Android app which lets you read the implant's temperature at a user defined interval. There isn't way to graph it over time, but the source code for the app is on github, so it shouldn't be too hard to add that feature.

Meanderpaul yeah, I spent ages working on this and still don't like it. A better shaped case would be much nicer. But I think the biothem chip a pain because it needs a special reader, so I'm working on a new temperature sensor chip which works with an ordinary NFC phone
  • That's pretty cool can't wait to see that.
  • edited August 2017
    @MeanderPaul - Finally got some time back, so I'm jumping right back into the door-way scanner. Will keep you posted...

The biggest issue I see is getting enough gain to read through my arm (as I see it, the implant needs to be in my arm-pit). 

We spoke about this ages ago, and I've only just realised the difficulty in getting an actual reader suitable of 134.2khz! FDX-B is seemingly lacking uptake. 

Did you ever get any progress on a new chip?
  • Found a reader, now I have difficulty reading the chip :) baby steps.