Bloody FlexNT Install Photo

edited September 2016 in Procedures
Welp, if you clicked the title you already know what you're about to see....

Finally got my FlexNT installed by Cassox while in Vegas. Went smooth, and already achieve nice reads.

The other Mark has a video which I'll be sharing once I get it.

Tagged:

Comments

• Zow, man.  Good photo.  I am curious though, do  you normally bleed a lot during these types of procedures or was this one particularly violent?
  • First time not using a tourniquet of sorts - wouldn't know. I'm assuming I'd just normally bleed this much, the installation wasn't particular more violent.
  • Normally there is very little blood. A tourniquet can be used to minimize bleeding; however, it wasn't an option in this circumstance.
  • Would a tourniquet around the wrist have been an option?
  • Yeah. Basically, a sphygnomometer cuff gives a great blood less field. Just wasn't planning on doing these things at defcon.
  • I'm gonna go ahead and necro my own thread as I finally got a copy of the video.

For those that can stomach it, enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/505fstlq2awd9c5/MM flexnt2 FINISHED.mp4?dl=0
  • Holy Moly! I am glad you posted this!
    I knew that's where Amal did his first test, but he has some pretty large fingers. Can you feel it flex under your skin at all? Does it cause any discomfort?
  • No and no. Don't have any discomfort nor can I feel it really flex. It's pretty noticable though since I have such small hands.
  • Glad you got the video! Thanks for sharing :D also really glad it sounds like it's been healing quite well?
  • edited September 2016
    It did heal quite nicely. Minimal scarring left.

• I'm still new to this. It looks like that would be painful for at least a week and tender for much longer. Was the procedure painful?

The after photo looks like it healed very well. Glad to see this.

Also do you know if that's the size Amal's Uki will be?
  • I believe the Uki will be slightly bigger from what I've heard.

My figure was numbed during the procedure. I didn't feel anything. Only issue is when I hit it on stuff like the week or so afterwards. It would be like a quick sharp pain - nothing bad at all.
  • You never realize how much your bang your fingers into stuff until you start implanting things inside them. :D
  • Oh yes definitely. Working with your hands makes you a bit more cautious

• This is the most recent discussion on flexible NFC tags (relativity speaking) so I figured that I would post these pictures here. Keep in mind that this is just the first iteration to get the basic concept down. I will be refining a few things in the next version. 

This would be used in places like the arm or the back of the hand. It would be pushed under the skin breaking the connective tissue, and then a friend with a probe would push down on the implant through the slot as you retract it out from under you skin. The implant would be left in place as the spatula is withdrawn. I understand that there are some issues surrounding this method, so I would love some input on design!

I was thinking about making the front a little more tapered to help push through the tissue. 
  • Looks pretty cool, but a tool like this would require a larger pocket which is why I would think hand placement would still be ideal.
  • The back of the hand location is a given. That's where I intend to put mine
  • edited November 2016
    Liking the spatula idea, but will there be enough space on top to put the probe in and push the implant out of the spatula without the implant ending up too close to the incision?

Also, on a related note, I just got one on the back of my hand. Even with the stiffer silicone @AlexSmith used for me, it still wanted to fold. What worked really well and got the implant in very quickly and easily was using a long flat tool the same width as the implant on the bottom and a second probe on top to hold the implant in place while we put it in. Then we were careful while withdrawing the tools and used the probe to hold the implant in there, so the spatula concept should work great. The tools:
    (Sorry there's no flexible NFC chip for comparison, this was taken after implanting it.)
  • edited November 2016
    @rpyka That actually addresses my concern exactly. Would you mind if we moved this discussion to this thread

I have a second iteration of the tool posted there and some other comments.