Implanting Magnets Via Syringe

2»

Comments

• That seems like the early stages of rejection....
  • IMO, lance it and see what comes out. keep it shielded from mechanical stress/agitation/damage, too. :s

Clear or white might be saveable... If you get green, grey, black, etc... Get it out! D:>
  • Lanced. There was some white-ish yellow-ish puss that came out immediately. That was the worst of it, but i made sure to push as much as i could out. After the initial flow it was mostly blood and tendrils of it. I lanced it in two other places and then it was just blood and clear fluid.

Im really hoping i can salvage this. I've started putting antibact on it once again as well. I will keep everyone updated.
  • Keep it drained and very clean; it sounds possible it will make it! :D

And don't let it get bumped. >~<

If it keeps filling with pus, you're body is fighting something. V_v
  • About 3 weeks after implantation (Day 24). The skin has stopped peeling and is returning to its normal texture. Everything is looking really nice since I lanced it. The skin is still a bit purple from the healing. Other than that, my only real concern is that the magnet seems pretty close to the surface of the skin. I can feel it fairly easily through my skin, and there is a considerable bump. I have a feeling that it might grow out eventually... Thoughts?

https://ibin.co/2uUnE5P70nC8.jpg
    https://ibin.co/2uUpnd61SG6H.jpg
    https://ibin.co/2uVuszxfucKc.jpg

• It may be too shallow...

Did you make sure in your procedure to completely penetrate and go underneath ALL layers of the dermis, into the actual finger meats? D:>

Still worth keeping in though. If it starts working its way out, just remove it. If it stays, encourage it to stay. ^^
  • I am fairly certain that i made sure to go underneath all the layers. I felt the telltale "give" of the needle once it finally broke through the skin. However I really have no way to tell for sure. I am thinking the small infection i had may have pushed the magnet out from under the dermis, and then healed into its current position.

Maybe i will get lucky and skin will slowly heal over it, but i am pretty sure that's not how these things work....

Do people normally have a bump?
  • Well... It varies. It's certainly not impossible. ^^'

1mm is pretty small. but if you have thinner skin and it's shallow, there might be a little bump. It's within the realm of 'makes sense'. 
  • Regardless it is still quite fun to play with. This may also be a result of using the needle. Even though though the very tip may have penetrated the dermis, the pocket that it created was probably shaped like a "V." This may have made it more prone to migration before it could be healed in place.
  • That bump is actually fairly normal. It varies from person to person depending on you morphology. 
  • 2 month update!

Things have gotten a bit...weird. See for yourself.

Now I don't really think that this is a result of the procedure or anything. In other words, if I had implanted it with the traditional scalpel method I think that the same outcome probably would have occurred. This doesn't really alarm me in any way as the skin on my fingers always exhibits some very strange behavior, mostly in the colder months of the year. 

Mostly this involved the skin on the pads of my fingers peeling off in sheets, sometimes to the point where the skin underneath is so new that it constantly stings! Other times some of my fingers may look pruney or wrinkly like in the picture. 

Other than that though everything has healed very well! There is some slight discoloration around the magnet, almost like slight bruising, but there is no pain. Due to the unique "U" shape of the scar it is probably a bit more noticeable than a scar created by a slice, however it is hardly anything to be concerned about.

Any thoughts?
  • Looks awfully similar to my m31, scalpel installed a year and a half ago. I think this may be a success story.
  • isn't there a danger of damaging the coating on the magnet during implantation if it scrapes along the needle towards the body?
  • edited October 2016
    That's what's being tested....

That looks almost like it didn't get in straight to me and is higher on one side then the other.
  • @JohnDoe, I never actually noticed that. It doesn't really seem like an issue though. The perspective of the image makes it look a bit wonky, but it is a tad higher on one side nonetheless.

@c00p3r, The funny thing is, I actually had to pull the magnet back out of my finger while I was testing the size of the pocket. I had to pull it back out with some forceps before making the pocket deeper. So not only did it survive the trip through the needle, but also being grabbed relatively roughly and fished back out.

The level of pruniness is also varying to a certain degree. As of now it is much less noticeable. 
  • edited October 2016
    @chrisbot
    It also to me looks a bit closer to the side of the finger then the side of the pad where you put it in. Like its migrating to the top of your finger. Glad to hear this is going so well!
  • @JohnDoe, I think I consider this a success! I don't think it migrated too much actually. I tried to keep it away from the pad of my finger a little more than usual so that it didn't interfere with my grabing of things. (Just so you know, that large crease in the picture above isn't the scar.)

Also, I plan to soon test out this injection method again. I have the magnet, and just need to print a refined injector design. However, I am unsure where to put this one. It's is another m31, and I would like to keep it in my left hand. 

Any suggestions for locations?
  • I would try the pinky or the thumb.... I also believe that there is a place along the wrist you could try.
  • I have done it both ways and TBH the blade hurts and scars less. It's less nice an pretty but it's the better way to go.
  • Why do you say that?
  • @JohnDoe a needle is nice because you don't need to remove the tool before placing the magnet, but at the same time the amount of taper on the end of the needle a lot of the time is longer than a fingers width so you have to go down the length of the finger and it leaves a long cut inside that the magnet is to small to fit into. and a blade can be 3 or 4 mm wide where a needle would need to be 3mm diameter or a 9.4mm total incision width because of the needles circumference.

And the hurting less I think is just do to going able to do it faster because a blade you can feel those low layers as you are doing it.
  • I think I will still do like this, from what I can till needles have been used to make pockets for magnets for a while now. Also needles seemed to have killed the scalpel method to a large degree.
  • edited October 2016
    I have tried both methods as well, and I have to say that the needle was much more straightforward, at least in my experince. It may just be a matter of personal preference. It's probably a better option for people just getting into the world of biohacking.

I was also thinking about the whole injection method itself. If you remember, I never actually managed to inject it with the needle, I just made a pocket with it. I have some smaller needles that I cannot fit a magnet into, but may still be of adequate size to make a pocket. Perhaps I will try to use those.

@Benbeezy, the taper of the needle was my biggest problem. Agreed.