new rfid reader trouble

edited August 2016 in RFID/NFC
Hey so i got my new reader/writer (sold with that title) for my rfid. I'm running into a problem i didn't think of. i now own a mac as my primary computer and just found out that the plug and play feature of this device is for a windows pc. do any of you have or know of software that can be downloaded to function as a go between for this and my mac?

If you type in usb rfid reader/writer it will show up as a small black square this ( my first hyperlink! ) i have it hooked up to the iMac right now and it has a red light on it and doesn't acknowledge my raid implant. i have a few cards in my truck that i will try it with in the morning to ensure its not just my chip. i haven't used the chip in nearly a year since I've moved.

If you know of any good software that i can use with this device id really appreciate it.
Tagged:

Comments

• I'd say load a copy of Windows inside VirtualBox and map the USB to the virtual machine.... or bootcamp.

• So as a little update I broke out a Windows 10 laptop from the parents and tried that on it. No dice with it. I'll try a VM on the Mac but I'm getting a feeling I'm not gonna end up with it running. I did open her up and contrary to my original thought it does have the hardware in it.
  • Starting to sound like you got a dud - can you have them replace it as a last shot?
  • Possibly I'm currently talking to them through emails. I wasn't overly expecting it to be great but atlas tread my card and maybe my hand.
  • edited August 2016
    Seeing you as the only Amazon review definitely makes this look questionable.

Do you see any numerical markings when you took it apart? Some sort of identifier. My thoughts on generic products like these is that it may be re-branded. Finding some sort of identification might lead you to the actual developer and actual drivers.

Edit - what did they blur out in the listing photos?
  • They blurred out fcc. I didn't really look for anything that would identify the actual maker. I was more concerned with if it even had anything in it.

I was very hesitant about ordering it because there were no reviews but decided to give it a go. Best case was a cheap reader/writer worse I'm out $20 and they get a terrible review.
  • So I found a few Amazon sellers that have the same reader, and ship with a driver cd. I did some Googling and found that the PC software is called "IDRW V3"

Pretty sure this is the Windows software for it - http://www.rfidshop.com.hk/datasheet/HID/CD-125K-HI-RW-USB.zip

Googling IDRW V3 - I then found the following link;

http://forum.banggood.com/forum-topic-95664.html

Someone posted that the drivers are crap but was able to get it working with the drivers for the "T5-RW-USB-D" - maybe there's Mac drivers there?

It honestly looks like something you would find on aliexpress and not on amazon lol.

• If you Have troubles getting Mac drivers i would suggest to bootcamp Windows on your Mac, its like a virtualmachine only you totally boot into Windows and so you can turn your Mac into Windows with All the capabilities on Windows without a problem. I found it easier than using a virtualmachine Program. As it just turns into a full Windows system
  • ok so I've gotten an email from the company and it has the drivers for a windows pc, at least i believe they are. they are .rar files which i cannot open on my mac ( still learning how to use it.)

@mmuyskens i tried the bang good page already and the link they posted to the drivers on the persons google drive weren't there. i also just downloaded the rifler software from github and tried that but couldn't get it to connect to my reader....

@nlmax i was working on the bootcamp with windows (still learning about that also) i was trying to DL the iso for 10 but it kept freezing. I'm gonna keep trying to get that to work. I'm going to dedicate 250gb to that system and hopefully solve my driver issue there. i would rather have it be purely a mac run program as that is my system now and I've been wanting to finally learn it.

i have another option that I'm interested in but don't know how to really go about it. would it be too difficult to write my own software to work with the device i have? maybe using the .rar file with the windows drivers? I'm completely new to the whole programing software thing.
  • @Meanderpaul , Mac is great but it just misses drivers and compability as More things are Made for Windows only. So you are almost forced to bootcamp or get a Windows machine. Or raspberrypi if you are into linux
  • I am aware that windows has more for it and is more open out of the two. my only issue is that I've had windows pc all my life and i have never found a desktop pc i liked or that ran smoothly. thats the main reason i wanted to make the move to a mac. if i can get the iso of windows to actually download i will be making the bootcamp of it so i can have both.

will i need an activation key for it? i have a windows 10 key on my old all in one pc and a windows 7 install disk so i do have access to a couple copies of windows.
  • Well just pirate it lol, there are plenty of isos out there with Keys so haha. Mac runs perfectly smooth and it will even help you bootcamp. Windows won't be perfect on Mac but hey you won't like game on it! So don't worry
  • Meanderpaul What chip are you trying to read/write with it?
  • edited September 2016
    I'm using 125mhz t5577 no uid from your site.

The reason I'm jumping saying the reader is I have a couple cards that have id already assigned to them that it can't read and I can't even get it to pull up the driver when plugged into either PC or OS X.

Edit: Oh right sorry one is an hid pass point and the other is indala. I can give actual number is you'd like but they are RFID.
  • Ok, yeah, it sounds like you have driver trouble with the reader. _but_ once you do get it running you probably won't be able to read it with that reader until it's formatted. i.e. it's currently formatted as FDX-A, which I don't think the reader will support, you'd first need to write it once to change the format.
  • In addition to AlexSmith, you can just simply copy something off another RFID to your 'empty' chip and you will be able to read/write it
  • NLmax is correct, copying another card will update the format, at which point you should be able to read it with the linked reader (once you get the driver sorted out)
  • That was my plan to get one of my ID cards to write to it. Which is one of the reasons I saved my old and have my new. I'm trying to find software that will connect to it right now. I'm going to keep searching and definitely will post if I get the thing running with what ever link I end up using to do it.

I'm currently trying to find my win7 cd and code so I could do a boot camp but you know how it goes, when ya need it ya can't find it.
  • As an update I got the reader to work with software the company sent me through email so I now can run it on my computer. Downside is its only able to run on win8.1 or lower. Also I can't get it to read either of my I'd cards but at least I've made progress I will update again when I manage to get some improvement.
  • edited September 2016
    ok here is a link to my google drive with the software/drive to run the reader/writer. bare in mind it is for windows 8.1 and lower and does not work in windows 10, at least i haven't gotten it to yet. (bootcamp running 8.1)

I haven't been able to get it to read either one of my cards like i have said but I'm going to keep looking for a solution and will try more cards if i can find some.

haha second hyperlink :)

Edit: 
    I decided to do some googling on my cards to ensure they were what i thought they were. i couldn't find anything really concrete which is worrying me now. the passpoint i have says it only works with their readers and that it has been discontinued....my second i cannot find.

card 1:
    Indala
    numbers= 11101381828-1 (i believe it was printed by my club)

Card2:
    Pass point
    HID Proximity
    numbers= 001-04-288271 (unsure what it is)

any input or ideas id really appreciate at this point.

• My current suggestion would be to check as many cards as possible with your Reader to Double check its working as it should be. Otherwise i Have ordered a RFID copier ( with like 5 Different khz settings) and fiddle a bit with that one to try and find if your cards really are 125khz. As RFID sometimes works on a different freq than the usual 125khz. Or that your cards are both protected?? As i also Have a key with RFID lowfreq. But it refuses to be Read by anything i throw at it.
  • My thought was they are protected. I snaked a key card from my hotel I was staying at last night in the hopes it was rfid and that they have little to no protection. But I gave it the old NFS test, slapping her to my phone, and it connected...bummer.

I currently between ordering a new reader that isn't a Chinese knockoff that comes with some RW cards or just buying some RW cards. If I can try and figure out some more rfid cards to test that will be the determining factor.
  • Id Love to let you borrow my Reader but you are really far away, perhaps order some precoded rfid cards in different frequencies
  • edited September 2016
    Indala and HID Proximity are both cards which can be copied to your implant, yay. Also these types of cards can't be "protected" so you will definitely be able to read them, which is good.

But Indala and HID Proximity are "proprietary" formats, while they have been reverse engineered and are now public, there is not as wide support as public formats, such as EM4X. This could be why your cheap usb reader doesn't detect them, because it doesn't support these proprietary formats.

I suggest trying your current reader with an EM4X card, if it works with that but not your two current cards, you may need to get a different reader which supports there formats.

• I'll definitely look into the em4x card to test the reader out. I only really use one of the two I'd cards so it wasn't any sort of connection towards them just was looking to test the reader with it.

It is good to know that the formats most likely the cause of the issues.
  • Also thank you for the offer @nlmax I totally understand the distance thing.