RFID reader

edited May 2016 in RFID/NFC
So I know there was talk about a USB thumb stick reader/writer I just couldn't remember the name of it or if it was an RFID or nfc.
Tagged:

Comments

• There are a variety of thumbstick readers/writers out there.

I actually purchased one of these NFC ones a couple days ago (http://www.d-logic.net/nfc-rfid-reader-sdk/products/nfc-usb-stick-dl533n) for 13.56MHz chips.  It hasn't arrived yet so I can't yet speak to how well it works.  It includes no software either, but there is free software already out there to use with it.  I intend to write my own, though.  It's a reader/writer.

I have one of these to read 125KHz chips (http://www.amazon.com/Proximity-Support-Windows-Android-Operate/dp/B00MANK52S/),  Not a writer, though.  It only reads chips.
  • I actually was looking at both of those on amazon. I looked past the chafon because it didn't write and I don't think the dlogic works with my chip :(

If I have to I will end up getting a flat pad reader/writer but would rather the more compact USB. I think I would need software for one but who knows.

I know cyberise.me has one but I would like to hook it to my pc also to add another layer of security.
  • edited May 2016
    @Meanderpaul How were you thinking of adding security to your PC? The implant-focused NFC reader I made emulates a keyboard and types my password. Obviously this can only reduce security (although add convenience).

Microsoft have produced a demo of using "companion devices" to unlock Windows PCs. I've asked for more info, but I suspect it will be aimed at companies producing commercial devices rather than hobbyist hacking.
    See the presentation video and details if you're interested.

• edited May 2016
    I remember some one saying they did. I'm fairly certain I may be thinking of yours :/

Just as a side note I know I said I was thinking of it I have come to the realization I really wouldn't need it seeing as I don't actually have anything valuable on it
  • I use my RFID to add security by using it as only a portion of the password and not the whole thing, so access is half "something I have" and half "something I know". I type the first portion of the password, then scan the chip in my hand and it types out the latter portion and submits it.
  • That's not a bad idea, but in the end it's still a single password. You may think of it as two parts, but if someone finds out your whole password then they're in.

I added a slight level of protection to mine by the fact that the reader types "Ctrl-Alt-Del" before typing the password then "enter". It's more convenient but makes it harder to do in two parts.
  • Its use lies not in preventing access if someone has the password, but in preventing someone from easily obtaining the password from me. If someone is watching/listening over my shoulder for the keystrokes to get my password, they still need the chip half. On the flipside, someone can clone or otherwise obtain the chip, but that's incomplete and they can't legally make me reveal the other half. Fingerprints and chips are fair game for the government but we're still protected when it comes to passwords we know in our heads.

Also it's convenient and feels all cool and futurey.
  • Does the readers you guys use have the write ability also? I was hoping to locate a simple thumb stick type inorder to minimize the size but all I seem to find are the readers like what was mentioned.
  • Did you buy it online @ightden or was it a custom job?

If that is able to read and write an RFID t5577 then it's exactly what I'm looking for.
    At this point I'm not in need for simple cloning right now which is why I'm looking for the PC hook up so I can "create" my own data.

I'm tryin to stay away from prox simply cause I don't want to drop the cash for a high end like that. (Ya I know you get what you pay for).

I just found out the vet can't write to chips which kind of depressed me cause that was going to be my route.
  • that is actually a prototype of the "keyduino", not sure if you can purchase them yet but its basically just an arduino in a flash drive form factor, with built in antenna and what not
  • A quick search shows that "keyduino nano" seems to need a separate antenna. The larger version does have an antenna. Getting an antenna to work well with implanted glass tags isn't easy.

It looks like meanderpaul is after some 125kHz stuff rather than NFC (13.56MHz) anyway.
  • theres an antenna on the end of the board in that picture, though.
  • edited May 2016
    You are correct and I believe I found one too. It's a bit larger then I was looking for but hey it does what I need.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SO2F8K8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1H78CCORKCS20&coliid=I3213GUESZG5HE

Has any one used this yet?
  • I have this one, which I got in the mail today: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-Portable-RFID-125KHz-Proximity-Smart-EM-Card-USB-ID-Card-Support-Reader-Win8-Android-OTG/32596290336.html

It says it reads 125KHz in the listing, but the back of the box says it does both 125KHz and 13.56MHz. I have yet to determine if that's true or not because I'm still trying to figure it out. My phone (Galaxy S5) insists I've plugged in a keyboard. I haven't been able to read anything. I even tried scanning the cat, but all I got was a face full of wet nose.
  • That's a different one. Does it have an app that it uses perhaps? I didn't see anything in the description.
  • @katzevonstich, many RFID readers emulate keyboards.  Scanning a tag makes the reader output the tag's id number as plain text just is if you'd typed it on a keyboard.