Paintball War Discussion

edited April 2016 in Community
The theme of Grindfest 3 is going to be the nature of man. It's going to explore violence and war from a number of angles as it relates to grinding. Assuming the emergence of some truly useful grinds, I think it's inevitable that augmentation will be used at some point as means of waging war. How, if at all, can we affect this? Are there grinds that would minimize the emergence of violence? There's a lot to explore here.

This began as a sign up for the Paintball war that will be happening next year at Grindfest 3 but it was quickly derailed. In order to remedy this, the point of this thread has been altered and a new sign up post made. Use this thread to discuss potential rules or whatever you want.
Tagged:

Comments

• edited April 2016
    This... This sounds evil...

C_C  

Will vehicles be allowed? :o And also, when you say 'rules'... 'Paintball war'... is this just conventional paint ball war, or like, "anything goes" paintball war where we just cant kill each other? Like... Is mace going to be fair game? ETC.
  • Why....why so far away....
  • Zerbula.. You ve got the right idea.
  • Can I have the date as soon as it is set? I want to get time off as far in advance as possible....
  • edited April 2016
    Same. You had me at "Paintball". And forget mace... I was thinking something along the lines of aerosolizing r-NGF... With mace. Although I'm not sure I'll be able to make it, unless it's literally in 12 months time or after. And will it be held in the day, or night? I'd be down for a night-time war. Also, I know the idea is to be sadistic, but please, nobody be that guy and use marbles instead of paintballs... That sort of thing can kill people. (Although marbles are probably cheaper...) I know the police have these wicked capsaicin-powder filled paintballs that they use sometimes. 

Also, are we supposed to bring our own weapons? Or will the guns be provided?
  • I wounded if a fluid would be better....
  • For the NGF? But then I have to actually touch someone with it... And that won't end well...
  • In b4 someone brings in acoustic weaponry (see: mini LRAD) and trap holes become a thing...
  • Looks like I finally have an excuse to get my hands on a drone and learn how to make it pew pew :)
  • Haha I'm loving this. Thanks @zerbula All I'm thinking of now is the sound gun that makes people sick (not the lrad one).

I'm thinking frozen PB
  • The possibilities are endless.

:3
  • Can anyone borrow a water cannon? what about high intensity light? flashbangs would probably be taking it too far, but even powerful strobe lights could be weponzed... speaking of which, I know dazzlers are banned by the UN, but do we care about that?
  • edited April 2016
    I've got a pretty powerful camera flash that I used in a game of man hunt once. Hand held, but the poor chap I used it on dropped to the ground. Didn't know what hit him. Sadly, it's not working at the moment.

As long as it's not permanent blindness, I think it's fine.
  • I think rules of engagement should dictate any utilised system, while intended to cause discomfort or harm, should explicitly NOT be allowed to risk permanent injury (on a reasonable scale).

Like... no using ball bearings instead of paint balls, or using explosives/heavy gauge pneumatics to fire said paintballs/other projectiles.

I do have an air cannon that adapts to a schrader valve, and can rip apart 3/4" plywood with AA batteries at very easily attainable pressures via bicycle pump. But that kinda draws the line of "I want to HURT them, not kill them" >~<

Please design things (If designing) to cause EXTREME DISCOMFORT, or if damage, TEMPORARY DAMAGE. No permanents please.

Just to throw out what I think is reasonable... With that being said...

Again, hugely anticipating trap holes. ^^
  • What about paint ball pnummadic shot guns? Like 1 1//OD PVC and a air tank?
  • edited April 2016
    Tasers? Cattle prods? Dual-wielding electric-fence lines as whips? kerosene-soaked bullwhips lit on fire?
    Might even go so far as a high-powered infrared flash or strobe for some heat-based torment. 

Also, @Zerbula Who's digging those trap holes? 
  • All of these sound reasonable. @Johndoe, I mean like... things that wouldn't shotgun projectiles. Things that would make projectiles tear people open. Badly. >~<

@TheGreyKnight Probably yours truly, with the aid of gasoline powered tools.  ^^ Unless someone wants to run in with a tractor. :D

• edited April 2016
    Well, I'm not recommending it, but you can use rock-salt and blanks with a shotgun, and that's totally non-lethal, but it'll hurt like hell. Scare the hell out of people too.

Also, Just saying this now... No Punji Traps. Or caltrops. Lego bricks with pushpins superglued in the middle are... Acceptable, I suppose.
  • That would... Really be scary...

Imagine a pit filled with adhesive. like industrial floor adhesive, like half a foot deep.... Falling into that would... really really suck, you'd just... Blah that sounds nasty. >~<

Mix this with say, a sulphur bomb. 

In before we see snare traps tied to vehicles to drag people after getting caught.

Honestly, Legos should be internationally against all laws of warfare. There's no way that's acceptable. :L
  • edited April 2016

No let's not those things could break a bone if at point blank....
  • Half a foot sounds a bit generous. My shoes have almost been ripped off my feet by about 2-3 mm of carpet adhesive. Half a foot... The fumes alone could knock you out. And that sounds like hours worth of cleanup work. If you diluted it, and mixed rope and other entangling materials in, it'd be really interesting. I also kinda want to just put a bit on a board and place it in high-traffic area of the field. Seeing someone face-plant whilst attached to a 3'x3' piece of plywood would be comical.

A really heavy-duty plastic tarp coated in the stuff would be more realistic. And even if they got out of the pit, they'd be impaired by the tarp. And confinement freaks a lot of people out, too. A net laced with adhesive and pepper spray, with weights attached that gets tossed or dropped on top of someone. 

You can always use an air-cannon system for a salt-shotgun, rather than gunpowder. 

Biggest question I have at the moment: @Cassox Are we playing non-contact?
  • With the plywood I have been there done that, it can work to your advantage really quick if you stay calm, as for the tarp I think we need a rule that the glue must be soluble.... Unless you want a waxing....
  • Capsaicin filled water balloons with caterpults would work wonders.
  • edited April 2016
    I'll just leave this here..... LINK
  • edited April 2016
    @chironex if you took an acrylic plastic, dissolved it, and did the whole process to introduce graphene, would the final product, if polished, come out clear enough to see through?
  • no it'd be jet black
  • Note to self bring dodge Soviet era military grade gas mask....
  • edited April 2016
    Aww darn... I'll bet it'll still make a badass riot shield. 

Anyone want to try building a Pulsed Energy Projectile system, or electric bear trap-style devices? A freeze ray(or maybe just system that sprays very cold water, or slush)? 

I'm starting to get the feeling that the defenders have a really significant advantage in this one... 
  • How about both attack then we have targets on our chest and those make points, team with most points wins the day....
  • Defence have always the advantage, if they know the terrain and have time to prepare. As I know in some war game they give more people in attack than in defence. Or better weapon or more ammo.  Depending on the first two variables and the size of the area.