optimal magnet shape

edited April 2016 in Magnets
so i was thinking. what would be the best shape of a magnet that is meant to be implanted. Iknow the m31 gives really good results and all but i would like to know if there is a better magnetshape. maybe like a 4x1 mm cylinder. where 4mm is the length and 1mm is the width. i think this would actually creata sort of a lever effect. im just brainstorming here an i would love any input you guys have.
Tagged:

Comments

• I wouldn't go with something of that size, there are cylinders like the m36 though and you can get anything of any size implanted as long as it kind of fits (see project Circadia). It really depends on a lot more factors than just the magnet specs.
  • i understand that its not all about the magnet, i was just curious to see if there is a better shape for it. the shape i proposed wa more as an example
    but i will totaly look up the circadia project. thanks man :)
  • edited April 2016
    The cylinder has been evaluated to be the ideal shape -

- Corners cause both tissue damage and are structurally weaker points that can be damaged or fractured 

- A sphere focuses on one single point of contact and is prone to 'flipping' the easiest. Having material move inside your body isn't comfortable. >~< 

- Large areas restrict blood flow. In theory, a perforated surface is ideal . I think @benbeezy is playing around with this

Flat short cylinders (coins) have smooth profiles that expose no leveraging corner or points. They seem to be rather responsive to movement and have higher strength to size ratio.

Longer cylinders (rods) can pack more magnetic mass and express larger magnetic fields simply through larger magnetic mass.

Surface area and thickness coating are huge too.
  • shouldn't ellipsoids be an even better choice?
  • that would actually make sence, since it doesnt move around too much. if you put the polar oposits on the "points"  if this is what we take asa a referense 

then it wouldnt risk flipping in the finger and causing a lot of pain . 
    i like the idea. 

• edited April 2016
    Ellipsoids look like a hybrid between a rod and a coin in regards to application, probably closer to rod. 

The prospective downside compared to a coin is you have a shorter and longer axis that it's now in proportion to the circle, easier to chip an end off of in the same application, more leverage to work against.

It looks like it would be a good competitor to a rod shape.

In either case, manufacturing a smooth ellipsoid looks like a nightmare. I don't think I could make one of those out of wood easily at all, yet alone NdFeB. Coating looks interesting too. >~<
  • 3D printing, maybe?
  • I was thinking about that, but coatings as it is have hard times sticking and forming perfect surfaces over completely smooth discs. 

NdFeB isn't too friendly to work with, IIRC. S_S Can it be 3D printed?
  • edited April 2016
    I believe @benbezey has a "donut" shape which would alow for the magnet to be kinda held in place.
  • spark-erosion could work to get a bare magnet into the desired shape. requires plating and coating tho. but other than that should be quite possible. as long as the thermal and mechanical load on the magnet is low, machining works.
  • >~<

Neodymium is really heat touchy though, isn't it?

Though it could be remagnetized
  • spark erosion is often done under water/liquid. it only heats up the material it really sparks away. if you take your time it'll remain perfectly chill.
  • Ideally some kind of inert oil that uncoated NdFeB doesn't have any reactivity with. But this sounds cool :o
  • Now we have come somewhere, its really cool ideas that you guys have here. this is what i wanted, people smarter than me comming up with ideas. :)  

• What sort of stuff do you need to do spark erosion?
  • For sinker type machining, a copper or graphite electrode, dielectric fluid to immerse the part and electrode in, electronics to control sparking and a method of feeding the electrode down onto the part would be needed. Kerosene works well for fluid. As long as the sparking area is completely immersed there is no risk of fire. A drill press or milling machine could probably work for controlling feed and maintaining a spark gap.