An exploration of coatings

2»

Comments

• Actually, @Cassox had three magnets in a bit of thin pipette sealed off, so that was viable.
  • Oh that sounds interesting. But that glass isn't biosafe glass and its way to thin for standard stresses I would think. Still, it's a start in the right direction.
  • In terms of using this for something like a finger magnet.. non-optimal imo. The glass is far thicker than the micron thick stuff like the M31 or even parylene C. Also, it moves.. thus click. click. click. Inside your finger clicking until madness occurs.
  • Has anyone looked into getting mags coated in the glass that is used for the rfid tags? It seems a really obvious question and yet I don't recall...
  • Has anyone looked into ceramics at all? I know they are used a lot in medical implants due to the 'relative' bio-inertness and aside from being brittle are probably strong enough for non-load bearing applications like coating magnets. Dunno how they are made though so if they would mess up the magnets at all.
  • edited March 2016
    @EKahn

TiN, Titanium Nitride, is a ceramic. It is the current 'Standard' for magnets, next to Parylene, which should be considered the 'temporary' counterpart for a safe magnet to be implanted.
  • Oh, haha. I read that fast and it went into my head as tin, though I know that wouldn't make much sense.

Thanks!
  • I know this is an old thread but I wanted to discuss a few
    ideas I’ve had for improving magnet coating biocompatability.  I am studying biomedical engineering and
    chemistry and have access to a good number of chemicals in my lab. 

An easy option would be to take the D1005A Parylene-C coated
    magnet and coat with polyethylene glycol. 
    PEG’s biocompatibility has been thoroughly researched and it is also
    extremely hydrophobic, which would minimize foreign body response leading to
    magnet rejection.  This double coating
    would minimize the risk of pin-hole related rejection, can be applied thinly and
    without heating, which would retain magnetic strength, and is also cost
    conservative.  Research indicates that it
    functions well in combination with Parylene-C and stands the test of time.  (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1607551X11002397)

Alternatively, the same Parylene-C coated magnets could be
    coated with SiO2 which would show the same benefits- low heat bonding,
    inexpensive, and a thin layer of durable, biocompatible material.  This would also open the possibility of
    cloning a silaffin R5 tag on, which would catalyze silica formation and
    essentially act as a self-repairing coating. 
    I’m not sure whether this would remain localized on the implant, but I
    worked with an R5 modified protein previously for immobilization and saw great
    results. (http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0960-1317/21/3/035011/pdf)

One final option- though this I would not be able to do with
    my resources- would be to coat a magnet in TiN and follow with an additional
    coating of Parylene-C.

As a side note, silver should not be used as a coating.  The reason why silver is antimicrobial is
    because it is toxic.  A very thin coating
    would not cause any lasting harm, but it also would not be a permanent coating
    and would inevitably expose the body to the neodymium. 

Any thoughts and input is much appreciated!