Cyborg History Lesson

edited February 2015 in Everything else
So, this is actually a fairly decent article written about Haraway's Cyborg Manifesto. For anyone how hasn't read this, it's 30 years old and it's still pertinant and an impressive read. It's great background and gives a little breadth to why people do what they do to become more than what they are. An excellent palette cleanser for the community I think.

This is pre-armchair transhumanism and it's good talking points for when "i like sticking metal in my meat bits" doesn't win the crowd over.

sorry it's buzzfeed....

the original work, for those with the attention span

Tagged:

Comments

• the link to the original work is down 
  • Well, it has been a year...

• This is interesting. ^^

The article being a little repetitive in trying to find different words to express the same idea, IMO, but still well explanative of the idea.

Lack of time moreso than patience, but please tell me that the original isn't quite as prone to phrasing the same thing with different words. >~<
  • I think the 36 page pdf is pretty good at covering a variety of topics.  The article was, of course, buzzfeed garbage. I was just looking for the simple read.
  • That's what I would hope for. ^^
  • Something more recent that evolved from the cyborg manifesto: http://www.laboriacuboniks.net/

I've been reading this a lot lately and liking it.
  • I read down to parity. Its a bit hard to understand what they are trying to say. But what I can pick out i find complex and likeable. It might be perti ent just to summarize it in a paragraph. But I haven't read the whole thing yet.

Thanks @Cathasach for leading me to it.
  • TL;DR: By creating ourselves in between identities, such as the masculine or feminine, we can liberate ourselves from those identities that capitalism, or The Spectacle if you prefer, relies on to control the populace oppress people.

At least that's a rough approximation, although it doesn't really do it justice.