What do you want?

2»

Comments

• I can't see doing 12v, I'd have to use a boost regulator, and that's just too much. So alright, when I get back from vacation I'll see what I can do. I've only got a week before II head out to NASA wallops for a launch, so don't expect much from me this month.
  • A while ago i got the idea to take a simillar device as the bottlenose. And mount it on the upper back to give a sense of how close people or objects are behind me. Though i have zero experience with electronics and coding etc. The original idea was to use a vibrating motor that would change intensity depending on how close things are. But i would like to see if it is possible to use an electrode to give different intensities of impulse instead and i would prefer not to have to implant anything for this purpose. Any ideas how i can do this or where to start?
  • I don't know anything about using electrodes for impulses, but everything else is reasonable.
  • Idk. Id just rather use some sort of impulse instead of a noisy annoying servo.
  • Vibe motors don't have to be noisy. When properly mounted and calibrated, they make next to no sound.
  • Thats definitely good to know. I might start of with a servo then and see how it feels and sounds (or if it makes a sound at all). Then i might try to find a way to use electrical nerve stimulation afterwards. I feel like that sensation might be cooler. Im not sure which way ill go but im definitely interested in this one.
  • LRMs are quieter than ERMs, but they're more expensive. I'd recommend using those.
  • I have made distance sensors which give feedback through rotational servo motors, vibrating motors, and electromagnets. The servo was my least favorite because it took a long time to respond. It was also my starting point as inspired by a Make: magazine article. Vibrating motors can go from 0 to full in fraction of a second while a cheap servo takes a moment to get in position. An electromagnet can respond even faster. Code for a vibrator, electromagnet or electrode would be similar. The servo was also the loudest. Only the electromagnet, which requires an implant, was silent.
    TL;DR - skip the servo.
  • I actually think we had a bit of back and forth on this a few months ago @McStuff . I do agree that the magnet option is the best of those three in the fact that it is silent. But it does involve implantation and i am not too comfortable with implantation that close to my central nervous system. Either way ill probably have to start with a vibrating motor and then go from there.
  • You're not fine with an implant but you are fine with electrocuting yourself? Zaps aren't good for you, generally speaking.
  • Entirely depends on the "Zap". From my experience and research it's quite safe to do with the right parameters for a chosen setup. Some basic tests from years ago: http://forum.biohack.me/discussion/454/direct-feedback-from-microcontrollers
    It is possible and easy to cause temporary and permanent damage when you pick crazy parameters. For electrodes which can be handled with bare hands it's easy enough. Most of the time, overstimulation on those will result in major pain so you'll adjust to save values on your own. For tiny neuro-electrodes that's a different. tl;dr: Zapping some skin is not as hard as one might think.
  • That is interesting. I'll have to play with that. What did you use for an electrode?
  • off the shelf hypodermic needles. Bout 0.5 mm in diameter, spaced about 2.5 mm apart, about 8 mm through the skin before they poke out again. Placing them closer reduces the voltage required, smaller diameters and shorter in-skin-distance should lower current requirements. I would recommend to build a small frame to hold the needles at the correct spacing, getting them in parallel with just one hand is a bit of a task.
  • @Lex, here is a link to get you stared. Really inexpensive parts and code to boot. I hope you can use it. 

• Cool. Thanks for the link. Hopefully ill be able to get around to ordering parts and making this thing finally.
  • edited April 2016
    @electricfeel At risk of reviving a dead thread (even though I am) are you still able to lend a helping hand? I believe I have the parts (mostly) that I need give or take some small pieces. I've been out of the electronics game for a while and am feeling rusty.

EDIT: forgot the info on the parts.
    https://www.sparkfun.com/wish_lists/125993.csv
  • Your list link doesn't seem to be accessible, it is private? 
  • http://sfe.io/w125993

It turned out it was that link should work