Should I Reimplant in a Spot with Scar Tissue?

edited July 2015 in Magnets
Back in December I bought a the necessary supplies and went for it. Long story short, I did pretty well except for my lack of sutures and I cut at a 90 degree angle instead of 45 (I did not realize how bad this was.) All went well and it seemed to be healing up nicely. I then took a vacation where my implant started to show signs of rejection, alas I didn't have any tools with me except my last steristrips and some emergency band-aids. I stubbornly kept the magnet in with band-aids even though flesh and the magnet were poking out 1/4 of a centimeter. Eventually I accepted that it had rejected and I took it out to reimplant later, however I lost the M31 and carried on with my life. Here I am roughly 7 months later with a scar barely noticeable unless you squeeze it. I bought 2 more magnets and some supplies from dangerous things and eBay. (Slight tangent: by looking on the Wikipedia page of the ulnar nerve I realize that I might have implanted wrong "This nerve is directly connected to the little finger, and the adjacent half of the ring finger" I implanted on the side of the ring finger towards the thumb, did I do this incorrectly?) I am planning to implant a magnet on the median and ulnar line namely the index and ring finger, however the scar tissue makes me wonder if it would be better to implant on the pinkie. Thoughts? (Sorry about the big block of text; I'm typing this in a phone.)
Tagged:

Comments

• Do you have any pictures of the scar (Squeezed and unsqueezed)? If you could describe the consistency of the tissue in the area in comparison  with the same region on your other hand, it'd help us better advise on this. I'm interested to find out whether or not your determination to keep the magnet in altered the healing process. 

Disregarding the scar tissue, the ring finger is definitely a better choice than the pinky, as you've got a lot more meat to work with, per-say. I'll do a bit of experimentation with myostim to see which side is more ennervated, in that sense. In regards to mechanical stimulus(Pressure), The side of your ring finger closest to your pinky seems the most sensitive, so if you're able to implant there (good luck doing the surgery properly. That's not an easy cut to make, and I've only seen reference material for the side opposite the pinky finger), it'd probably be more sensitive.
  • Since you implanted on the "wrong side" why not just implant on the other side of the finger? Same finger, area where you want it... sounds like a solid bet. 

double down on those tutorial vids and read up on the technique. Probably want this one to stick, y'know? ;)
  • edited July 2015
    Unfortunately the iPhone camera sucks way too much; it is impossible to see the scar clearly enough for the photos to be useful and I do not currently have access to another camera. The scar is a white line pointed slightly downward in the middle of the finger with a darker spot in the middle, unpinched the line is 1/8 of an inch, pinched it is a 1/4 on an inch long. I'll probably try to implant on the other side even though it seems pretty tricky.

I read up on technique recently and in December. The reason I didn't do it correctly is that I was too much of a wimp to use sutures which I now realize is stupid and I forgot at what angle to cut, definitely won't be making those mistakes now. :)

P.S. Consistency as in visually or to touch? To touch I can't tell the difference between the left ring ringer and the right; the scar is not raised.
  • Astra, I've re implanted a few magnets on people who have had previous failures successfully. If the scar material is palpable though you might consider first visiting a physician and asking for cortisol injections which may decrease the size of the scar. In terms of the correct side.. it's really more tradition that magnets are placed as they are. No one has done any serious investigation comparing locations.