The mysterious disapperaing magnet

edited March 2015 in Magnets
(Alternately titled "Helyx can't win")
So after almost 5 months of "it's sorta healing but maybe not really", I finally had the m31 in my right middle finger taken out at the meetup. Turns out it had a coating problem and was indeed rejecting, ever so slowly. Because Amol and everyone else there is awesome, I got a shiny new m31 in my left ring finger a few minutes later. Got a suture this time, everything healed up nicely, or so I thought.Took out the suture Sat morning, kept it well bandaged and all that.

Except Monday at work I noticed that the magnet was gone. Looked in my bed (I slept at least one of those nights without a bandage) and all around for it, to no avail. Has anyone else had an implant just fall out at some point during the healing process? I was definitely careful to treat that finger gently...
Tagged:

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Thats... pretty odd... was this before or after you did all that cooking? *goes to check the cast iron*

edit-
    srrsly, thats really strange. like, it was in your finger when you left, right? and then you removed the sutures and woke up and it was missing? did you check with another mag to make sure it just isn't healing well?
  • Very strange. No, I haven't ever heard of this issue. I'm going to be making a set of post-care instructions that I'll put in the wiki and also hand out from now on. It's best to keep the incision bandaged for the first week or so. A simple steristrip is best. If you were at day 4-5, the site would be sealed over but have little to no mechanical resistance. A piece of medical tape or a steristrip should be worn for at least two weeks. I'm sorry if I wasn't super explicit about this. I thought I'd blathered on about this to most people but it was a pretty crazy week.
  • Yeah, I was/still am rather confounded. It was definitely there when I took the suture out, I remember feeling it under there.
    And Yeah, I'd been keeping it bandaged, except for the aforementioned sleeping-time, so I'm not even sure when it would have come out.
    Oh well.
    Another thing to watch out for. I guess I do keep wanting to be a guinea pig.

• I bought an m31 back in September as well and the thing has rejected from both ring fingers. i think its a great idea overall, but it seems that the edges are lacking in coating. 
  • edited March 2015
    Hey Jeff,
    Can I buy that magnet off of you? A few people have claimed having a coating issue with the m31, but up until Helyx I'd never actually seen a failure truly due to coating failure. Body mod guys seem to love their autoclaves far more than reading directions.  Id love to confirm if the edges truly are damaged or mis-coated. Tons of testing went into making the M31s, but if there is some kind of manufacturing issue its very important to know.

On a side note, we're also working with Dangerous Things to add another level of quality assurance. At this point the likelihood of a failed coating is quite honestly 1 in 1000, the goal is of course zero in one thousand. Also, where are you located?