Electric Shock Pain Management?

edited February 2015 in Magnets
I have decided to get the m31, I dont think im gonna have any issues doing the procedure myself, so i started brainstorming a different way of reducing the pain other than lidocaine and this is what i came up with.
A while back ago i built an electric shock machine that works with an oscillation produced by a transistor when it is joined to the primary of the transformer, taking the transistor to saturation, this makes that the pulsating tension produced is amplified by induction in the transformer to the charge (potentiometer) stationary in the output. The output tension (shock) is regulated with the potentiometer going from 0  to maximum.
I have externally hooked up the output wires one to the central nerve at the base of my left ring finger and the other one to the nerve running to my thumb. When turned on and put to max power it numbs my entire hand to the point where i think i will be able to perform the procedure of putting the magnet in. I also purchased a few copper/steel rings on ebay and attached the wire at the base of my finger to the ring then i put the ring on and that seemed to completely numb my finger. I might try this instead of using lidocaine just to see how it is. 
I am open to concerns and suggestions but i am wondering if when the magnet is inserted under the skin if i will feel a shock or something? The machine runs on 4Dcell batteries. It also does not hurt when i have the 2 contact points delivering the shock on the same hand.
Tagged:

Comments

• First question, Why do you not want to use lidocaine? It's easy to get and should absolutely be used. I have concerns about using electricity. First if it causes you to shake it could cause problems. Also with metal tools I don't see it being a good idea. I don''t think you'd get shocked but I still see no reason for this.
  • I have fairly easy access to lidocaine but I was just thinking of another way to stop the pain.
  • Not to stamp on your idea but from someone who had done the surgery, lido makes life so easy and pleasant. Id stick with it if possible. Now if you'd like to talk in theory about this I'm game but for your actual procedure I wouldn't mess around, just use the standard protocol. It's the standard for a reason
  • That is to say @Kingofrandom for the purpose of this forum, if you are asking for advice we MUST advise the community "standard" stuff. We, of course, encourage people to experiment and report back findings. If you do want to research this let me know. We can design a verifiable double blind test, or as close as we can get.
  • I've considered using electricity for pain management before too(not for an implantation surgery yet, though). I wonder if it's possible to isolate nerve activity in an area using DC current. Perhaps by keeping the neurons from depolarizing while the current is flowing. As drjaaz mentioned, however, anything which would induce pulsating muscular contraction(Alternating Current), is definitely a no-go, unless you can get what you need done with currents below the threshold for muscular contraction (A very low amount of current).
  • edited February 2015
    @Kingofrandom That is cool, electro-anesthesia. Do you know what your voltage and amperage is at the max setting? Is it just the total of the 4 D cells at that point? Are those in series or parallel? Also, how long does it last?
  • Also, Is the "machine" transforming the DC voltage supplied by the 4 D-cell batteries into AC current?
  • edited February 2015
    @DirectorX the amperage is .1 and it brings 6 volts from 4 d cell batteries up to around 120 volts at the max setting and the batteries last a while.

@TheGrayKnight no it's not transforming the DC voltage into AC.

Here are a few pictures of the thing.
  • edited February 2015
  • edited February 2015
    Then why is there a transformer in that thing? I'm no EE but i'm pretty sure those only work with AC, am I right?
  • edited February 2015
    Yeah that's for when I'm out of batteries I can connect a 12 volt adapter to my house outlet and to the machine and it's not gonna harm you at all.
  • Eh, As a layman in EE and electrical safety, I would avoid connecting anything sub-medical grade to the main lines. One short and you're fried. Transformers only work on AC. So, basically, the device is a DC or AC power supply, wired to a transistor oscillator?
  • Yeah, and thanks for the suggestion @TheGreyKnight as you can see i hardly know anything about EE.
  • -_-

Seconding the "hey experiment that's great but please don't just do random stuff and call it an experiment" concept that jaaz put out there. Don't do it for the mag, just to it for a test. Last thing you need is to pass out while using a random device on yourself with a scalpel halfway in your finger...

i would suggest getting some good feedback from some of the ee guys before you touch your new toy to anything other than a chicken leg...