Do NFC implants set off store alarms?

edited February 2015 in RFID/NFC
Hi there. I was wondering if anybody had any personal experience with implants such as the ntag216 setting off shop anti-theft alarms? I've done a bit of research and can't seem to find any info on google, although I expect that the towers look for specific IDs and not just a random RFID enabled device passing through it.

What about airport sensors? I imagine magnets are more likely to set those off than RFID implants, but again it's pretty hard to find a definitive answer.
Tagged:

Comments

• edited October 2014
    I've flown a few times with a magnet in each hand and nfc chip in one, and had no issues either time (Well there WERE some issues, but they weren't implant related).

I have that same tag, and I need to virtually dig it into my phone to get it to read. While the sensor on the phone is probably not as strong as retail theft alarms, I seriously doubt it would pick it up. I also agree that it probably checks for a specific string embedded in the chip, otherwise /all/ rfid products would set it off including passports and cards. I also seriously doubt the strength of an implanted magnet would set off any magnetics-based store alarm unless you're walking right up close and next to the sensors. In which case, keeping maybe a paperclip or magnetic buckyball toy in your pocket to prove your Innocence might be handy to have on hand :)
  • I also have the NTAG216 chip, as well as an xEm RFID chip and two magnets. No store alarms, no metal detectors, no airport scanners, and no security fields at the university. The implants are very unobtrusive in modern society, unless you tell someone about them they're not going to find out.
  • @BirdMachine I've magnetized my pocket knives and keys, and everytime I walk through a particular Walmart entrance, i trip the alarm. I wonder what the sensitivity on their sensors is.
  • No problems here either ... It's kind of an anti-climax to go through security at courthouses and even international airports. And I've yet to find a metal detector that even registers my magnet, let alone my three chips. Best fun I've had is walking through the anti-theft device at my local library because its EMF is so strong - but again I barely notice similar devices in many retail stores.
  • I have yet to encounter an alarm tripping from my implants but now I want to find a tag in the store and write it to my hand just to see if I can get it to go off.