Gold coated magnetic implants...

edited February 2015 in Magnets
Are the magnets coated in 24 kt gold suitable for implanting as is? I plan on coating the ones I have, but was just curious in case the silicone breaks down... I was planning on sugru, but I've heard of trouble with the sugru not coating evenly. Anyone have any tips? I'm getting one professionally done by a piercer here in the indy area(are we allowed to drop individual shop names? I had trouble finding one, but I don't want people to think I'm advertising...) but I've got a few 24 kt gold coated magnets I ordered off ebay with the intention of implanting myself, and I'm considering still going this route in the future should I decide I want one in my other hand. Just curious what anyone would know about this... Gold is supposed to be bioinert, but I wanted to be sure before I develop heavy metal poisoning due to misinformation off the internet.

I trust the knowledge of the people here, and truly believe you guys are doing your best to mitigate the possibility of unnecessary harm due to misinformation. So, I asked here.

Comments

• I think the prolem with sugru is that it breaks down over time, not really suited as an implant. as far as the rest im not sure
  • @xxafflicted is correct about Sugru. And in regards to gold plated magnets, a properly coated, genuine-gold-coated magnet won't give you heavy metal poisoning, as gold is not very reactive, making it bio-inert. However, with gold-coating, you can run into some of the same issues that you do with parylene, though you would be more worried about scratching the coating during insertion than post-operative coating damage. 
    If you've got a magnet coated in silicone and gold, you probably won't have any problems for many many years, as the silicone doesn't really breakdown like it could in open air once it's implanted.
  • do not use sugru for implants -_-  seriously. its like, one step away from coked up hookers shooting sealing caulk into their asses for an alternative to an ass implant. which you should also not do.

in regards to gold, it's just too super soft. you can actually have post op surface issues, depending on where you implant. nestled safely inside your rib cage, ok (don't even think about it); inside your finger, not ok.

pm me your piercer. if Amal doesn't already have him/her on the list, we will add them to the affiliate list, and will ship direct when the new batch of properly coated magnets comes out in about 3 weeks
  • It was a pain to find anyone around Indy who had done them, or was even willing to do it. Every shop I called gave me a new shop to call, and they forwarded me along to someone else. On a whim, I called up the shop I got a tattoo at last year. Just so happened their piercer had done some before, and was friends with Steve Halworth.

Anyway, any other suitable coatings I can do at home to make my gold magnets safer? I'll avoid sugru. If glims sees fit, he can post the name of the shop for me.