Magnet placement: Finger vs Side of hand

edited February 2015 in Magnets
i know it seems simple. and i very much think that the finger is the better of the two choices, but theres something thats been bothering me on the matter.

i am interested in getting the implant professionally done because im too much of a wuss to do it myself :P
i contacted Samppa Von Cyborg as he will be in my state in april and his words exactly (or his wife, idk whoever emailed me) were:

"Our magnets are at least 10 times stronger than Steve's ones and we recommend side of the hand as placement. The only reason people think that only finger tips gives right sensation because Steve started to using that placement. We heard so many complains that we decided to use side of the hand and actually works better. Never on your way, very sensitive, does not hurt at any time, does not disturb when you type, hold things etc. 

Our magnet is cylinder shape and we have two sizes:
1.8x7mm 
3x7mm ( this one is the strongest one)"

this says that hand placemnt is best. is that just because their magnets are much larger? and does anyone have experience getting magnets of this size on their finger? i really want to have a finger implant, but if i could have a hand implant that is much stronger and still holds the "6th sense" aspect i really want that. any words of help? thanks!
and thaks for such an amazing forum ive learned so much over the past few months and it really helped influence my decision to get this precedure done! :)
Tagged:

Comments

• That's VERY large for a finger implant. Not recommended.

@amal was talking about testing the "knife-edge" meaty party of the hand a while back as a possible implant site a while back. theoretically one should be able to get some sensitivity there. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes, that's what I would do :)
  • thats what im thinking of doing. even if there's little/no sensation i still want to have a magnet! its just gonna be a little crappy that i wont have a bases of measurement for how sensitive it will be. ive never had a finger implant so i wont know how to compare! definitely if i get it done ill post here and report how its doing around 6 months! still gotta book the apointment for april though
  • edited January 2014
    Hey there, I have the 3x7mm N48 magnet in my ring finger, got it done at Ninjaflower. It isn't uncomfortable in my day to day life, the only way to feel discomfort is to press hard against something hard. Typing is fine, but pressing a guitar string is uncomfortable. It doesn't stick out of my finger or anything :) I don't know that the side of the hand would work well, are the amount of nerves there comparable to a fingertip? As for the strength of the magnet, it is quite strong. I can lift a small teaspoon if I lift carefully. I can also post pictures of the healing process if you would like (I took photos every few days). Any easily noticeable marks were gone after two weeks, I got it in at the end of July. Here's a photo of it in my hand: image
  • very interesting! i think im just going to have it done to my hand, just to see what its like and because i dont want ANY discomfort lol
  • edited January 2014
    If you want to avoid discomfort I wouldn't put it in the side of your hand. I would get a smaller, flatter magnet instead. This is a cylinder with a diameter of 3mm, try finding something like that and glueing it to the side of your hand to see how it feels temporarily.
  • Like aexiddqd, I have a 3x7mm implant courtesy of NinjaFlower - and I too can pick up a teaspoon with care. Despite a few teething difficulties directly after implantation, I wouldn't be without my fingertip magnet now.
    Granted my implant is only two months old so my sensitivity is still increasing and the novelty of sticking to coins, the car gearstick etcetera hasn't yet worn off.
    In hindsight, I wish I'd taped my chosen finger prior to the procedure - thereby providing a different sensation during use for my brain to register - so that I had a fuller picture of how much I relied on it.
    As a third option, gwarsux: What about getting your's in your little finger? Could be a good compromise,
    It's also worth noting that there is apparently a LOT of friendly rivalry between Steve, Samppa and company so I wouldn't count on much impartiality when it comes to their advice.
    That said, I am tempted to try one of Steve's new magician-strength super-strong magnets on offer - in which case I'd be opting for insertion in the side of my left hand. I like the idea of keeping the right free as a control and I already have plans for a silicone implant and my second RFID in there. Plus if they are as strong as rumoured, I'd want it placed in what I consider to be a less nerve dense area.
  • I kinda had a hunch on the rivalry between the two lol its to be expected. I actually just found out Brian Decker will be 3 hours away (at least in the email he said he usually goes) in April to hell city Columbus. I think that's my best option for what I want because I MAINLY want the strong sensation, not the strong magnet (although strong both would be cool :p).

What did you mean by taping your chosen finger prior to operation?
  • For strong sensation, I'd definitely go with fingertip ... Am very pleased with my implant.
    As for the tape thing: Wish I'd stuck a bandaid on my finger when first checking whether or not I relied on it. Thought I was paying attention to which digits I used most but I missed seeing certain things - like the fact I opened the heavy doors at work with just two fingers, one being what is now my magnet finger. I think if I'd have taped my chosen finger pre-placement, it would have given a different sensation for my brain to register every time the tape came in to contact with a surface and therefore I would have a clearer picture about just how much I used it.
  • ah that makes a lot of sense! i think i may do that!
  • You can also put them off of the pad of the finger...that's where mine are.
    http://discuss.biohack.me/discussion/comment/2977#Comment_2977

I type a ton and play sax/bass guitar and haven't had any issues with mine.  The level of feeling is just as I expected, though the ability to pick things up isn't as great as others show/describe.  That is probably more an issue of the actual magnets than the placement.
  • Where exactly would be the best location on the side of the hand?  I attempted an implant in my ring finger back in August, but had to remove it because it wasn't positioned deep enough.  I'm planning on performing the procedure again soon, and if I can get the side of the hand to work, that would be great.
  • Roughly halfway to two-thirds down; that way you have enough spare flesh to accommodate the magnet so that it's not super-sensitive when you bump it. How deep you should go, I couldn't hazard a guess, though.
  • edited February 2014
    Is there any risk to implanting a stack of magnets as opposed to a just one?  It seems interesting to attempt, given the extra space available.  My gut is telling me it's a bad idea, but I'm not sure why.  I remember reading a while ago about someone implanting a stack in their finger, but I can't recall the result.
  • your gut has a good feeling for bad ideas. if you have multiple magnets stuck to each other, they will attract each other with great force, and when touching this can easily damage the coating.
  • A better option would be one magnet in a couple of fingers. Keep a free digit in between so your fingers don't stick together, though.