How to deal with the Anti-Transhuman propaganda?

edited February 2015 in Community
I recently came across this article suggesting that transhumanists are evil and are calling for another up rising of eugenics. I personally find it futile to defend things online, but I also know that things like this can often escalate and destroy movements before they even start.

So what is your opinion of this article, and how can the transhumanist community defend itself against such attacks?
Tagged:

Comments

• you can come across pretty much whatever you want on the internet.

there are many people on this planet , with many different opinions. and we have 2 choices:

1.) not getting into each others way
    2.) trying to stop the people who think differently and nuke the planet in WW3 as the situations gets out of control.

personally , i pick №1 , just ignore people who try to concince me that transhumanism/biohacking/farting-in-public is a bad thing to do. and in worst case ask them if they'd hand over their pacemaker to prove they are serious about the points they make.

don't bother them, don't be bothered by them. that easy
  • We could get the DIYbio guys to make some sort of plague.. Hey, I didn't know that Lucifer is our patron saint. That's fucking awesome.
  • The well-funded bit was pretty humorous... it's also clear they've never actually read Huxley to know he's AGAINST the masses being opiated slaves.

And that out-of-context Darwin quote has him rolling in his grave I'm sure.
  • Those people are fucking nuts! I'm laughing my tits off over here!! I have only one thing to say to them: Resistance is futile..!

good lough though :)

• Yeah, so... Dunno if you guys have come across VC in the past, but I have, and it's pretty easy to write them off as crackpots.

Which is what I would advise all who are even slightly worried about this to do.

Some of their other classics include: Ok, I was going to hunt around and find some crackers, but fuck me, they're all amazing! You don't need to feel the need to discredit this 'propaganda', it does it well enough by itself.

And if anyone gives you any grief in person, try explaining the difference between eugenics and putting a magnet in your finger. And then laugh if they are serious enough to still vilify you.

Hope that helps.
  • @Vpad: uh, yeah, but he wrote "Brave New World" as a projection of what he thought the world might look like, not as a dystopia. And technically, it's *not* a dystopia: the vast majority (far more than our current society) are utterly content with their lives.
    (Which is probably the scariest thing in the whole book.)

Transhumanism does have some very weird philosophical roots, and the style of thought that lead to eugenics - that of fixing people - is still there, and must be acknowledged lest it grow unconsidered. That route lies Nazism. Which is why people like Summerspeaker are so vital: we need to think about what we do, and how it will impact the usually-shat-upon, and a community which includes a genderless bi wetware hacker like Lepht, or a trans succubus like Valkyrie Ice (to name just two) should appreciate that.

Basically, we need to think responsibly. No-one likes being The Man, right?