potential source for TiN coated magnets!!!
  • so since the m31 is still backordered, i might have found a producer and seller for TiN coated magnets:))
  • had to post these seperately cus the site is buggy lol cant pop the keyboard so im copy pasting these lol
  • CassoxCassox June 1
    Unfortunately, finding someone to make them has never been the issue. I've had a batch made from ten different companies. DT has had probably as many made and I know the rediculous amounts that have been spent trying to get a dependable unit. Cyberise me.. same thing. Many attempts. McSpanish.. same thing.

If you'd like to do some testing on these, please do, but I've given up on TiN.
  • So, does anyone know about the process used to magnetize the neodymium after it's been sintered? It seems to me that all we need to do is buy unmagnetized NdFeB pellets in the right size, coat, then magnetize. I don't really have the connections, capital, or lab equipment to produce magnets this way, but I'd be more than happy to at least attempt prototyping it. @ThomasEgi had a magnet levitator prototyped for the coating process, and @chironex has worked with vacuum chambers, magnetrons and coating equipment, so I can't imagine setting up a small scale system could be that difficult.

Looking forward, do we have any thoughts on what a better coating option is?
  • Said levitation protoype would certainly work for parylene based processes. Maybe we should aim for more crazy ideas. Maybe adapting some processes from 3D printing and use laser based sintering to create a metal shell. Stainless steel might work for tests. Maybe in combination with electropolishing for a smooth surface.
  • If anyone has experience with ceramics, Al2O3 has shown some promising results when used in conjunction with parylene.
  • DOI 10.1007/0-306-46918-9_19  has some pretty good starting points. Looks like PTFE and FEP can be deposited in thin adherent film on quite a number of substrates including nickel and gold. The used power densities suggest that temperatures involved should be reasonable, maybe workable with just minimal cooling involved.
  • Picked up a batch of 10 magnets from armstrong last week, magnets themselves were strong however the coating had plenty of noticeable holes, receipt shows the magnets were coated in china.
  • CassoxCassox June 9
    Interesting. Can you stick one under a microscope and take pics?
  • Closest thing I have to a microscope is my phone, so I apologise for the lack of quality in the photos. Dial-up warning:

http://imgur.com/a/vscII

I've got some FDA2T on the way so I'll try coating one and see how it goes.
  • vatratvatrat June 9
    I've been gone for a while. Jeez. This is still where we're at?

I had hoped we'd have a reliable source of TiN magnets by now. What about Grindhouse Wetware's new thing? Was that ever released? The one after the hand LED thing.