Hello Biohackers! I'm writing a research paper and would love your input!

edited November 2016 in Community
Hello!
I'm a student of an American high school.  For my AP Language class (this will count as a college credit) I have been tasked with writing a research paper. We were encouraged to find a topic that we are interested in, I chose biohacking.  My paper will have the underlying theme of, "How biohacking can be used to improve the human experience." I myself have no implants whatsoever, so I really can't give any first hand knowledge. That's why I've come to this forum, in the hope that some of you awesome people can help me out!
The two main questions I have are; How has biohacking improved you life? and, Do you think biohacking is the next step for the human race?  If you could answer these questions for me, I would be incredibly grateful!
Lastly, I would love to have an in-depth interview. If you are willing to have a skype/telephone interview please let me know! My primary email is [email protected]. (Also I live in the EST timezone)
Thank you all so much!
(I would just like to say how much I respect every biohacker, you people really are the pioneers of our future.)
Tagged:

Comments

• Well being that im only just starting down this road i dont have much to contribute other then my view. But i like to try to get involved.

First questions: how has biohacking (grinding) improved my life? hmm well its more of a eye opener then a improvement really. All i have is a magnet and it shows us how much of our every day life we are completely oblivious to. I work around large machinery and large motors. It shows me how big of a magnetic field is emanating from them. The new motors and especially substations have a significantly smaller field then alot of the old tech we have in the plant thats from the 80's some of those things have fields i can feel around 5 or 6 feet away. and my magnet is relatively fresh which means that it will get more sensitive in a few more months. the new electrical substations i have to be about a foot away to feel them and even then its very faint. or take a microwave for instance. about 8-10 inches away i can notice the field when its on but only from the side with the controls. I guess to answer your question how does it improve MY life? It allows me to experience the world with a new sense. its becoming as second nature to me as the sense of touch. your brain filters out when you dont need/want it but when you think about it you are surprised with the complexity of the world around you.

Second question: do i think biohacking is the next step for the human race? I think personally that yes its the next step towards controlled modifications to our bodies. however i think that actual biohacking will replace it. by actual biohacking i mean hacking DNA and modifying our cells and working on a purely biological means. the stuff we are doing now (grinding) is a step towards that end. Just as with computers, they work on a mechanical grounds, but theres always been a interest with building a biological computer or at least a hybrid. faster speeds, more storage, possibly the ability to self repair. So yes i do think this is the next step but on a journey of evolution. 

I hope i could be of some help.

Night
  • @Mr_Night Thank you very much! Your response is great!
  • So I'm going to be a little different in my response.

I have an RFID right now and it is in my hand. I'm in the process of setting up one of my cars to have access to unlock and lock the doors. I wouldn't say it has improved my life any but has made it easier and a little lazier I guess. Until I have multiple systems set up then I wouldn't really say there has been an improvement. If I can get it to link to my smart home bits then I would say it's an improvement.

No straight no. This is where I differ from most here. I don't believe we are cyborgs or really close to that level. There is a difference between sticking a few items in meat pockets and truely intergrating with robotics and electronics and that is not a level we are on. We are currently making our pockets hold less things by implanting stuff in us but that isn't truely intergration. When we can use it like it's just another limb or part of us (I mean neural interfaces with electronics) that is when I think cyborgs will start.

Like I said at the beginning we are just adding pockets to carry gadgets at this point.

Ok so now my question where on the east coast? I'm in MA and would be happy to answer some questions you may have. I do not have a magnet but once the production starts rolling I how to.
  • How has biohacking improved my life?
    The biggest improvement to my life has come from my implanted magnet. I am an electrical engineer and I have diagnosed electrical panels and components with a literal wave of my hand. In my work, I am responsible for designing and troubleshooting industrial electrical enclosures. Some of those put off intense magnetic fields when they’re active. My coworkers need a meter to test if they’re working but I have saved considerable time at work and hack-a-thons because I can simply feel if they’re operating or not.

Do you think biohacking is the next step for the human race?
    No. Biohacking is a fringe activity. If something is going to change the course of humanity it will be a mainstream trend. If a critical mass of people want what biohackers have discovered and invented it will cease to be hacking, it will simply be a product or service. I’m not opposed to this. I love the idea of getting the latest tech safely implanted at the mall.