How unsafe are generic paralene coated magents?

edited November 2016 in Magnets
Magnets such as these can be found cheaply from asia, but I have no idea regarding coatings and how careful I need to be.

I assume these sorts of things are completely dangerous, but can anyone tell me why?

Tagged:

Comments

• Can be is the key part. They aren't technically dangerous in and of themselves but rather may not be suitable to implant for any period of time. You don't know how sterilized it is or if it's even got a good coating/quality.
  • Definitely look at the coating under a microscope.  These are Super Magnet Man's Parylene-C coated magnets: http://imgur.com/a/Bocg2

Anywhere where the coating is lipped, or areas that are entirely uncoated- like the edges were here- will react with oxygen as well as moisture in your body.  If they look okay, do a saline immersion test and see how they fare.  If you're confident enough to implant, you'll definitely want to sterilize beforehand.
  • Wow. You got that dissecting scope in fast eh?
  • I ended up finding one at work, and my family had one they let me have(:
  • Awesome response guys, great photos by the way.

I might see if I can check/experiment with some just out of interest, but I'll be getting some M31s when available anyway.