Biohacking Essential Reading List

edited October 2016 in Community
I'm in a reading mood... Suggestions please for your essential texts on biohacking. 
Which books do you think explore key ideas and practices?

For ease of use, please copy the previous person's list and add your own...

Off the top of my head, I'd include 
The Transhumanist Wager, Zoltan Istvan
The Proactionary Imperative, Fuller and Lipinska

What else would you recommend?
Tagged:

Comments

• edited October 2016
  • I have a few on the theoretical and philosophical level to include alongside Transhumanist wager. List below:

The Transhumanist Wager, Zoltan Istvan
    The Proactionary Imperative, Fuller and Lipinska
    Beginning NFC,Tom We Have the Technology: How Biohackers, Foodies, Physicians, and Scientists Are Transforming Human Perception, Kara Platoni
    H+/-: Transhumanism and Its Critics, Hansell and Grassie

While not strictly transhumanist/grinder/biohacker, I think some of the ideas about how technology passively influences our culture and psychology as described in Present Shock by Douglas Rushkoff is worth mentioning as well.
  • I am kind of thinking that as grinders and body modders we need some idea on anatomy and, for tDCS, some idea about neuroanatomy and neuroscience.

The golden standard for anatomy is Last's Anatomy, 9th edition (by McMinn). This is the standard text for surgeons but it needs to be used with an atlas - Rohen's Coloured Atlas of Anatomy is good, and so is Netter's. There are easier anatomy texts out there but just want to mention the highest standard we have, since these are reference texts an not for reading from start to finish.

For neuroanatomy I like Snell's Clinical Neuroanatomy and Nolte's (the later might be harder to find though...), but there are a ton of neuroanatomy texts out there and they seem pretty similar so just pick them up (Crossman's nice and thin and covers the very basic, though sometimes not explain everything very clearly). The gold standard for neuroscience is Kandel's Principles of Neural Science, 5th ed if you can get it.