Holographic Multifocal Contact Lenses

I have a pretty great idea. My idea is to put holographic lenses, like you might get at a 3d movie, on multifocal contact lenses. This would give you enhanced eyesight, and also allow you to see the full spectrum of light. Also, combined with a magnetic ring or implant, you could gain total EM awareness. What do you think?
Tagged:

Comments

• The lenses in those 3D movie glasses are just polarized. They don't expand your ability to see anything, they actually block light coming in if it's the wrong polarization.
    Unfortunately, there aren't lenses that make new spectrums visible, all a lens can do is filter or bend light.
    I like where you're going with this line of thinking but those lenses aren't the right tool for the job.

• The ability to see uv can be made by physically altering the lense of the eye. Would it be possible to have a counter lense, like a "corrective" that made that adjustment without the eye cutting?

And yes, eye surgery for uv sight would be cool, but it heals back, so contacts seem doable.
  • What if you embedded a phosphor of some sort in the lense? then when uv hit it it glows. Potentially it'll overlay a color. Make it into nanoparticle and disperse ti in the lense material so you can still see through it
  • If you use silver halides it would darken but the reaction is really slow so not great for visualization but good for transition contact lenses
  • Actually now that I think about it, quantum dots could be an excellent choice for this. They glow under uv, and you can carefully control their absorbance and emmission based on their size. and they work at very low concentrations so the lenses could remain clear. If you were gonna use normal CdS quantum dots you'd want to coat them in a layer of silica first though to make them inert. This could either be done hydrothermally or chemically. Something like APTMS OR ETOS would work really well I think. Here's a paper going over the process LINK. Or you could use carbon quantum dots and coat those but I'm not sure if that works since I haven't tried it, though it's probably fine. Would just need to see if it's sensitive enough to make a noticeable change to the incoming light
  • @chironex wouldn't the whole lens glow and be useless if you put some kind of phosphor in it? A ray of UV light would come in, hit the phosphor, and then wouldn't the phosphor emit visible light in a random direction?
  • not neccasarily. They're nanoparticles so you can adjust the concentration to balance the amount of glow, vs the clarity of the image. You should be able to at least get some amount of directionality if done right. And as to the random direction, it would only be a problem if we detected individual photons. But we're not so the average of the emmited photons should be in the right direction. Theoretically you could collimate the photons or filter out the ones going in the wrong direction with small groove in the lense. Not sure how it would affect image quality though. Can't see this being an easy build, but would be very cool if it could be made to work