Is there such thing as a commercial, human Crispr gene knockout kit?

As the title suggest's Im wondering if there's any commercial kits developed for the knockout of cells held within the human genome? E,g, a kit allowing for the infection of human cells to knockout (or perhaps add or alter) human genes? Are there even commercial kits for use on other animals like mice? or are we restricted to buying kits such as the, ODIN Kit specifically for bacterium? (and in a more specific case, the kit to add the green fluorescent protein to bacteria)? Would the same kit for the bacteria (or even the plant kit as i believe there is one), be able to be modified in such a way that it remove's or add's genetic information to a human cell? And even if there is a commercial human/animal cell kit, or a way to edit the bacterium/plant kits, how would one obtain/create their own genetic code to test within the target cell? To sum it all up im pretty much trying to see if its possible to conduct my own genetic experiments at home with the bare minimal lab equipment as i don't quite have access to a fancy lab, equipment nor even much time these days, yet i would still like to be able to do this   

(also i understand that Human genetic editing is not exactly a "common science" in america, so i highly doubt there will be some form or any form of genomic kit for doing things such as this but i'd thought i'd ask anyways) 

(TLDR: im asking if there's such thing as a human cell editing kit and if not, if there's a method of creating genetic code strands to be implemented into a pre existing kit) 

Comments

• tl;dr. are you trying to mod your own in your body? cuz thats not possible, atleast with the ODIN kit, i did do the fluorescent protein experiment, but we had to cold shock the bacterium, i highly doubt it would work on human cells, bacterium is easy because when you shock them the plasmid that contains DNA is more accessible. as for getting into the nucleus of a human cells idk.
  • Agreed after the earliest fetal stages with out gene editing nanotech(Semi sarcastic) editing your entire body's genetic make would be a huge challenge. I have also look into this, its not easy.
  • Yeah. I'm curious about some kind of topical application. Could you simply get the mod into some epithelial cells? I'm sure there would be application for some cells in a small area rather than trying to do a gene mod on an entire organisms cells.
  • edited August 2016
    I found another company that might have what you are looking for. 

https://www.horizondiscovery.com/cell-lines/x-man-knockout-cell-lines

I don't know anything about this sort of thing but would love to play around with glowing bacteria from the Odin kit.  Keeping it below 86 degrees F. would be tough this time of year especially during shipping.  I have sent them an email asking if the heat kills the glowing or if it comes back when it cools down.

I'm not sure if the glowing bacteria strain could be saved or stored and be revived later or if it is a one time experiment.  With the heat limit, I guess this particular glowing bacteria wouldn't be good for any human applications.

I'm imagining maybe a living tattoo ink or skin graft that would continue living and glowing feeding on the body itself.  Sounds dangerous if even possible but wouldn't require any batteries or trillium to work.

Edit to add answers to my own questions.  "One major problem people have is that they let the
    bacteria culture temperature rise above ~80F (30C). While the bacteria
    do just fine at temperatures as high as 98F (37C), the bioluminescent
    genes come from another organism that lives in cooler temperatures. When
    the temperature goes up, the protein catalyzing the bioluminescent
    reaction denature into a nonfunctional shape."

You can store it in the fridge for a few weeks to keep it alive.  Then you can restreak it onto a new plate to renew the glow.

• @Cassox Topical application just gave me an idea! My father has been looking at a specific medication being developed for "vampires" that have a genetic condition with zero medical condition. The drug just causes a lot of melanin production and is temporary. What if we could change the melanin production of the top layer of skin? This would allow control of a very even tan unlike any other chemical. Overall benefits would be reduced skin cancer risk and the ability to fit in on jersey shore!
  • Hrm.. As i've said before, if i get get a few genetic changes with only <40% risk, ill do it.
    So will look into this again.. 

That being said, are there highly experienced peeps around here that could/want to help review my changes before i take the plunge?
  • Check out the Odin. They have exactly what you're looking for. Do your research, the kits they have can be used in human cells with the addition of several steps specific to what gene you are trying to knockout or replace. Cannot stress enough doing a lot of research first if you want to see results and not simply waste your recourses.

• CRISPR isn't great. I don't suggest using CRISPR, though unlike some of the other posters I do believe that this may be achievable. I would suggest using a virus. You would be wise to also look into ways to increase your cell competency.

To give an example I was looking into changing the human myostatin gene, effectively just following what Josiah Zayner did when he applied the therapy to himself. What I discovered is that CRISPR isn't great at targeting what you want and will often simply make mutation prone cuts at the site you want to change, therefore potentially increasing the mutation rate in that cell quite a bit. There's also the problem of getting the system into the cell, which in grown humans will always be an issue. CRISPR has also been shown to be targeted by human immune systems in some cases, so the repeated applications you would need to do to achieve a physiological change would likely include an immune response and make your efforts wasted.

Using a virus has its issues as well including potential immune responses and issues with the virions entering the host. Despite this the virus should be better at getting you to integrate the DNA into your genome therefore changing your genes.

If you do want to use CRISPR and aren't afraid of pretty much just going for it then you could follow in Josiah Zayners footsteps. Look on his blog and you'll see some good material on this. This would be modifying your myostatin gene (knocking it out). You should be able to easily use his procedures to knock-out any other gene and extrapolate a little with other reading to change base pairs. Again I will say CRISPR is not as good as the media makes it out to be. There are going o be more new versions of CRISPR coming out "soon", they should be more effective as well.