SmartPassLock NFC: The greatest NFC unlock app thus far.

edited February 2016 in RFID/NFC
I'm starting this discussion to answer some questions posed by @Meanderpaul in the "Social reaction to implants" thread. 

In the discussion I mentioned that I use my NFC chip implant to unlock my phone, and that I am able to capture photos of any "unauthorized" person who attempts to access the device. Let me elaborate...

After searching around though the lock settings on my phone and then trying various apps from the play store, I finally found what works best for me. The app is called "SmartPassLock NFC" and is made by "DreamOnline,inc.". It is my favorite method of unlocking my phone as of yet. 

The app allows you to store one tag on it, though you can purchase additional tag slots for $1 apiece. It also allows you to set an alternative password so you don't screw yourself over if you lose your nfc tag (a feat that would be damn near impossible if your tag is implanted beneath your skin. 

One of the best features of this app is the monitoring mode. In monitoring mode, the phone will display a standard 9 point "connect the dots" lock screen. There is however, no way to unlock the phone by connecting them. Instead, pictures are taken with the front camera every time someone attempts to unlock the phone.

Here are a few photos from the application itself.

The Lock Screen Itself.

Alternative Password Entry.

The Application Interface

And finally a sample picture taken on monitoring mode.

Hope this is helpful.

Tagged:

Comments

• This is awesome. :D
  • edited February 2016
    Damn that's awesome this is gonna "make" me get a xNT now just to do this! What's the safety method for unlocking it if you can't get a read?

Edit: let me rephrase is the password line the Incase of emergency enter it here?
  • Not sure what you are saying even after the rephrase lol..

In settings it says: Use alternative password, tick box, you have to pay for it though, something like 1 $.

At the unlock screen, there is a small keyboard icon in bottom corner, you press it to bring text entry.

Seems to slow my phone down, but it's best so far of apps I've tried, i can still have tasker task running, and i assume nfc task. Couldn't in other apps.
  • Damn I need to explain better lol. You pretty much answered my awful question though.
  • Lol yes, with an awful answer.
  • and yet I understood it. I guess we kind of think alike or at least type alike. I don't think my wife will help me stick another implant in my other hand any more either so now I'm stuck. I think ill have to resort to bribing her to do it.
  • You could also go to a piercer and inquire. I have had resounding success with this method. The first piercer didn't even charge me as they were happy to do something new, the second charged me $30 which was her standard rate for most piercings. Just a thought.
  • The only issue is they have all said "no you shouldn't do that it's not safe". Which I think is kinda comical but hey they ultimately have the last say since they are doing it.

I'm pretty sure when it comes down to it my wife will.
  • Your wife would only have to give you a tent, then you could slip the needle in.
  • yea I don't know why she doesn't want to do it again. I had her do it with my rfid in my hand last time. I thought she enjoyed stabbing me with something sharp...she was smiling...
  • I know that frequency for RFID and NFC are different but is there a way to enable an NFC reader to understand RFID signals?
  • edited February 2016
    @Meanderpaul. No, the frequency in which a RFID reader operates at depends on the length of antenna. It's hardware depended. There's no way to do it unless you modify the antenna itself.

Is the goal here to get an NFC reader/phone to read your existing implant?
  • It was a thought
  • Got my new phone and the NFC lock. The whole thing is working great and since I don't have an NFC implant my NFC ring is currently what I'm using. My wife is happy now cause she doesn't have to poke me with a needle and I'm using my wedding ring like I had planned to since we got married.

Happiness all around! Thanks for sharing that app!
  • For those of you running android if you go into /settings/security there may be an option there called smart lock (this depends on which version of Android you are using, and phone) which has nfc unlocking as a built in option (it is under trusted devices).
  • a couple of questions: if i get this app whats the way to unlock in case of emergencies (like say, my hand that has my implant in it gets chopped off by a freak sword fighting accident or a llama breaks in and decides to eat my hand for dinner?)

also, and this is more irrelevant, but can i change the background on it? 
  • I think the loss of your hand might be more....important then no access. I believe there is an emergency access for passwords that you have to set up. I also remember it had to do with a Google account.

I set it up when I first got the app and haven't seen the prompt since.