Diamond Coated Magnets

Ok, so I've been working on new coatings and had a small batch of N52's produced that are coated in Diamond. So far, they are testing out rather fantastically. I have a few more tests to do, but these things are pretty awesome.

Tagged:

Comments

• How much were they to coat in diamond? If you rather not say that's fine but is it affordable to use that verse the tin?
  • #_# Extremely interested.

If this goes into any kind of desire into getting people willing to test, flag me fancied. :D
  • We'll see. So, the above testing I'm doing doesn't have text accompanying it. Basically, bleach fucks up everything. It eats metals without difficulty. Immersion forces a coating failure and thus we can use this to identify the types of failures likely to occur. In this case.. it was simple pinholing with no cracks or edge features being the culprit. This is waaaay better than anything else I've seen so far. Also.. it didn't begin to degrade until nearly minute 50. The other had failed entirely long before this.

• Are these CVD diamonds? How did you grow them if you did. I could use diamonds taps....
  • Please tell me there are feasible plans to make these available.

You can't just tempt us like this... Q_Q

My question is what doesn't diamond do better than TiN? I can't think of anything that makes it inferior...
  • Ah ha ha ha ha. Well.. there's a layer of TiN beneath the diamond as well.
  • Soon we'll have magnets that are even more over-engineered than our razors. Is it a nice smooth coating of diamond? Or a rougher surface?
  • Is that because you had TiN coated on hand, The diamond bonds better to it than NdFeB, or Ni, or for failsafeing with redundancies? Or another reason I'm missing because of lack of knowledge?

Not to say TiN is inferior, but wouldn't it be? Or is there advantages to one over the other? Do they significantly increase their strength by composite? the drawback I would see will be the same reason of the nickel plating, a weaker undercoat.. If the nickel was biocompatible... which I suppose is its primary downfall as a coating. #_#

I think tying Au with Parylene is much better than either one alone, and is the standard for parylene? If I'm understanding that right. Similar effect?

IF something destroyed the diamond coating, why would the TiN survive? Simply more layers to cause failure?
  • While I can speculate, I haven't finished testing... Let me finish a few things up and I'll give you guys a run down.
  • Not to pester but are these magnets coated in diamonds made from a CVD process? If so you have made the biggest leap forward since implantation of the first magnet. I read a article a long time ago ware they were etching IC chips onto diamonds. If this can be used to make bio comparable chips sets that would allow for more powerful implants that are smaller and thinner than anything that is of our current time.

Sincerely,
    John Doe
  • This looks really promising. Awesome work :)  I like the bleach testing idea. I think in the past, especially with the new methods, we've been too soft on testing. Testing to destruction actually makes a lot of sense. It sets a benchmark.

@JohnDoe How did we go from diamond cvd to arm flailing excitement about implantables? Could you explain what I'm missing here?
  • Well... Arm-flailing excitement is always a nice change of pace. Half the time it seems to be reactions of faces connecting to desks in rapid succession...

The thing I would be worried about is if the Bleach is going to be the standard for failure analysis, is it going to cause fatigue during the quality control? My experiences with stress testing have led me to take it with a grain of salt... To not over test things too hard. :s
  • That is useful to use because something like the cicada could be injected like a RFID chip. I would even go as far as to say that we would be hard pressed to find a purpose for anything larger than a M31. Plus the added benefit of the whole thing being biocompatible as apposed to a coating. No real intentions with that at the moment, but that would have a incredible effect on reducing the risk involved with doing stuff like this. Not that anyone here does this because it is a perfectly safe hobby like say, model making or street racing. Still to make something safer and more powerful has my stamp of approval on it. If these are even just homemade than a lot of doors have just opened up, I for one have no idea ware they could lead. Just excited to see ware they may possibly lead....
    LINK: that's stops being useful vary quick but gives a good explanation....
    http://www.geek.com/chips/81ghz-diamond-semiconductor-created-551147/
  • So far this coating has tested out fantasticaly. I implanted today and will continue to report.
  • sweeeeeet
  • Is this cost effective for sale?
  • Diamond coating isn't in principle costly. the equipment to do it is. The starting material is "any gaseous carbon" and hydrogen. So it mostly depends what the company will charge you to do it. Which is why I was trying to make my own. Since, in principle, it's easy to do. (well, as easy as highly flammable/potentially explosive gas mixture can be anyway)
  • Methane is typically used correctt? IF interested would you like to compare concepts? I am not planning to try this for a long long time due to safety concerns, and lack of experience with hydrogen methane and oxygen all in one conveniently packaged box of death. My plan will be to eventually use the old match in a microwave trick to generate the heat needed for the CVD process. The catch it (please correct me if I am wrong.) is the by product of the reaction not O2? Plasma, microwaves, explosive gases, O2, cooks some baaaad medicine....

Sincerely,
    John Doe
  • edited March 2016
    You need an inert atmosphere, or at least oxygen free. A microwave wont work. You need a vacuum system. 
  • Yes one with a carbon heavy gas. The microwave was to be used for heating the seed. Ahh should have looked up methane Chem formula, agh heavy gases sink not mix right? I also question how deep of a vacuum is needed before you could just back flow methane and "skim" the top of air. I know that there are super fine filters, but I don't know if they come so fine as to file yet out nitrogen oxygen and hydrogen from methane. Looking at this again I bet I could put together a good chamber with view, I also bet I could find a bottle that would work at hobby lobby.... Safety still is a concern....

Sincerely,
    John Doe
  •  The problem is you need a real vacuum pump and probably a diffusion pump. Both will run upwards of 500. And if this is your first vacuum project, be prepared to spend a year getting it to work. If it isn't, be prepared to spend a year getting it working regardless. And don't use a microwave with a vacuum chamber unless everything is properly shielded or you'll kill yourself. As to your skimming idea, you're not as far off as you think. There are materials that do that. But making them do that requires a huge setup which will costs hundreds to build on it's own. This really isn't a feasible project for most people and it's easier to find a company to do it for you. I've been making vacuum systems for years and have all the right equipment which is why I even tried in the first place
  • What about useing a stroption pump, or a aspirator pump using decently sized fittings (due to the more ballstic nature of air at low pressures) and a splash guard with recycled silicon oil? The for shielding I am assuming that a microwave would have said shielding. For running the magnetron do to the nature of the atmosphere inside the chamber I think a water cooling system is worth looking into. As for the chamber I am thinking about a steel pipe. With a Pyrex cone type view port. Both ends sealed with Tig welded 1/2in steel plate chamber its self would be made from 1/2 in steel pipe (welded) with 1/2in square bar braces (if needed) also Tiged on. I wounder if a cheap web can couldn't be prepared and mounted to allow for a similar viewablity to a bell jar. While I am seldom swayed by the words "impractical" or any variation there of. However I will take you at your word with the skimmer idea, just curious what would a system like that be called?

Sincerely,
    John Doe
  • If you're interested in this kinf of stuff check out applied science's channel and this video on his homemade liquid nitrogen generator LINK He goes through all the stuff you'd really need to make a system like this for the most part. 
  • I am familiar with the channel, looking at his system wouldn't it me easier to super cool the nitrogen and the oxygen, then distill them apart? That tube of tubes just looks like a tricky part to find/make.... I have thought about trying to make a cryocooler out of a jumbo monster can and a balloon, or more likely a Mylar bag. Plus a liner solenoid with return spring. Also am wondering if I can't just but a off the shelf sterling engine pump some hydrogen into it and solder it shut.

Sincerely,
    John Doe
  • if it was that easy to do it would be done on an industrial scale. It's a lot harder than you think. And wait, what? How do you plan on turning a can of monster into a cryocooler? And no, there is no low tech solution to this. This is a very very complex and high level project. Either do it right or it won't work. Think of it like a recipe for make a cake. If you skip the flour water sugar and eggs you're just left with a bowl of nothing. You're skipping the steps. If you ever want to try this, build a proper vacuum system (get a proper edwards vacuum roughing pump then either a turbo pump or a diffusion pump, the former being highly preferred), rent the tanks of different gases you need, etc etc etc etc etc. No skipping steps. Especially when you're working with materials/devices that want to implode and then explode REALLY badly. You're making a chamber, filling it with explosive gas, then putting a current through it. That's asking for trouble to start with. You can't just magic diamond onto things. Also you should probably start with going on scihub and reading every paper you can about hot filament assisted CVD of diamond. Then read them again. And a third time. Then realize it's a multi thousand dollar project and it's cheaper to just find a company to do it. Like I said. Or wait and eventually I'll get around to finishing my unit and I'll do it for you. 
  • I have a alternative project I have going to be using this for you will see in time....
  • Interesting. I actually have no idea the process being used to be honest. I've discussed it with the guy I'm working with but not in any serious detail. I'll try to find out what I can for you guys. It might actually be some variant. For example, with the TiN coatings a lot of the deposition companies say TiN... but add in other metals to change characteristics. Shit like Chromium and whatnot. This is why I spent so damn much time trialing different versions. I figured at least one type would pan out. So far.. not so much. I mean, you either need a perfect coating method or you need a perfect testing method.

Hey Chironex, perhaps you could answer this. Can you electroplate to a phosphate conversion coating?
  • I'm not sure what you mean? what's your starting material and what are you trying to end up with?