Wrist Implants for a watch

I am new to the whole idea of finger implants, but I have wanted wrist implants for the purpose of being able to wear a watch without a watch band. I was looking at it again recently and found this video: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/13/man-implants-magnets-under-skin-to-attach-ipod-nano-to-wrist/ the only thing is that it is transdermal and as such would only be temporary (as far as I am aware). So, my questions are: Have any of you had any experience with subdermal wrist implants in the location that a watch face would rest? Do you think that pinching would be a major discomfort depending on depth and size of the magnets?

On a side note I will probably get an NFC implant or two just for contact and emergency info (likely on inner forearm in fatty area near inside of elbow).

Thank you!

Comments

• It would reject from being crushed, magnets are not Kent to hang jewelry off of....
  • edited February 2016
    This was talked about in a previous thread. I would do a quick search it might have info that will interest you.

Edit:
    I didn't notice you said magneticly holding on a watch face. I would jump to the conclusion that it would reject. It's the basis for charging powered implants. You do how're have the problem of pinching skin and then snapping something on and off. I can't imagine that will feel too good constantly and violently snapping the skin like that. It may damage the skin before causing the implant to reject.
  • Thank you guys for confirming what I was worried about.
  • No problem if you sill want to do this than dermals are your best option.
  • Hi Grazerquart,

I haven't announced this anywhere, because I don't have enough of it to show pics yet, but some time in the near-ish future, I plan to make a separate posting about my design for what is basically a fully subdermal watch/compass/pedometer/thermometer/heart rate meter (much like a subdermal fitbit, basically, but only about 3mm thick. I'm almost to the prototyping stage at the moment, so be looking for that. 

I'm not seeing where anything like this has been discussed before on here, but if anyone is interested, I'd be glad to hear about it. At the moment it's just a pet project to see if it could be done.

Cheers
  • @Rytcd Only three mm? That's incredible! Do you have any goals for the dimensions of the overall implant? I am very interested to see you battery/induction coil setup.
  • 3 or 4, yeah. Right now I'm working on trying to repackage LiFePO4 batteries to be something like 1-2mm thick. They don't sell them that way, only LiPo's, for some reason. LiFe's are all in round cells like AAA's. I already smoked one trying, but I've ordered 4 more to play with XD. My goals for overall dimensions are to make something that will operate with normal use for one day between charges, and will fit inside a package that, with coating, will be about 3cm*4cm and about 3-4 mm thick. It will also have some wifi capabilities, and be able to be reprogrammed in-vivo :) Right now I'm working on parts sourcing and board layout.

No promises to anyone at this stage, but thus far it's actually looking quite promising if I can get the battery thing down. I'll know in a week or so.
  • I actually can't find the thread anymore. @rytcd where were you planning on implanting it? The wrist still?
  • wrist or inside the forearm, yes.
  • @Rytcd, may I ask why you are going for LiFePO4 instead of just liPos?
  • I'm fairly convinced that LiFe's are safer. They are generally considered more stable, and in the event of thermal runaway, burn/smoke much less energetically. However, even so, I am planning on a small titanium enclosure for the whole device to help contain a thermal runaway (and for strength), as it is a scenario I'd like to be as unafraid of as possible if the thing is inside my arm.

Furthermore, they are reported to have a much higher cycle life, which given the application is quite a big deal XD.
  • edited February 2016
    not exactly ontopic but might help to spark some ideas:
    coin-battery sized double layer capacitors. Good enough to keep a clock-circuit running for some hours. Might be worth a shot for an early prototype to reduce risk and proof the circuit itself is operating well.
  • Yeah, but that does lead to the big "but" with capacitors. My circuit has an operating voltage of something like 5v-3.2v, and requires about 100mah to run for one day (rough preliminary estimate, with the circuit in standby nearly all day). The capacitor you have listed is .2F. To take a .2F capacitor from 5-3.3 requires about 200uAh, so about 1/500th, which would not even run it for a second when the circuit wasn't in standby. 
  • @Rytcd It appears to have been awhile since something was last posted to this discussion and I am interested in this sub-dermal watch implant. May I ask how far you have gotten on it?