Research and Development

Hello there all. Long time reader, first time poster. I got a magnet in my left ring finger and a rfid in the standard webbing about 8 months ago by Brian Decker. I love both of them and I'm interested in expanding my horizons. Other people at my uni have also expressed interest. To this end we are starting a research group. Hopefully this is grant and endowment eligible, and we will have funding to refrain from cutting corners. We already have permission to do the human testing required, but the extensive bureaucratic oversight might ensure that we do not progress very quickly.

I was wondering, are there any projects that have been considered here that have been discontinued because of price, time commitment, or just sheer difficulty? Originally, I was planning on developing transdermal, but you all came up with practically the same solution I did so that idea was scrapped. Now I think that goal 1 is develop a form fitting minimalist version of the bluetooth le headset implant. Preferably completely invisible. I might try the tragus implant for shits and giggles, but the long term goal of this project is to combine existing technologies like tft screens, supercaps and inductive charging to create a wirelessly accessible screen that shines through the skin. Likely rudimentary at the start, long term progression of this would hope to increase penetration power and screen complexity enough for words to be displayed clearly. 

Also, I would love to be part of grindfest, but I'm in New York. Is there any counterpart on the east coast?
Cheers,

-Ragnorinki

Comments

• Look at my implantable edison and CyborgNet projects - I want to get the latter to be accepted as a standard so it'd be cool to collaborate.
  • From what I have gathered there is very few on the east coast. There is a thread started for east coast to try and find each other but the ones that are on it are spread out a good distance.
  • Just got an RFID by Brian Decker as well a few weeks ago. I'm based in Philly, but a lone wolf over here AFAIK. Lurking on the forum has been self-motivating me to hit the textbooks so I can give some constructive input.
  • gartethnelsonuk, Ive seen both projects. Honestly if I was implanting a whole small computer, I would build it from scratch. As far as cyborgnet is concerned, I think it would be easier to make it an app on a mobile phone. Have it notify you when you're within a certain vicinity of other grinders. I know it means no guaruntee that the person is actually a grinder, but the battery concerns of constant wifi/gps are too great imho.
  • It goes beyond just pinging others, look at the specs on github:

• Im sorry, I thought I had read through the entire thread. It seems like a well fleshed out idea. It doesn't look like it needs any modification, just implementation for compatible devices as we all go along. Is there a package of the program resources already set up? If not i'm sure I can get some compscier to throw some together and start testing on non implants in preparation for implementation.
  • I'm working (slowly) on a python-based implementation, it really needs a C port for AVR (or another low-power microcontroller).
  • Hi, I had a couple of ideas.

First you can develop something useful for all biohackers, maybe a subdermal computer, that is flexible, very small, contains bluetooth, contains a remote wire charger and can be heavily modded. Something people need in their own experiments but is hard to produce themselves.

Then you can try gif tattoos:
    http://forum.biohack.me/discussion/1184/e-ink-tattoo

Copper coils under you skin that can generate different magnetic fields, allowing you to put some ferrofluid on your skin and make it change shapes.

Develop ways to anchor stuff with subdermal magnets instead of transdermal anchors.

• I've actually been developing a subdermal electromagnet mount, among other things. It is actually quite promising, but for the time being, the human testing committee at my school has incapacitated my research. My group will continue it's research, but at a slower rate without the economic boons distributed by the college.
  • Sorry to hear that, Universities IRBs tend to do that. Why on earth are you developing a subdermal electromagnet mount? You want to implant an electromagnet?