Transdermal Ports: Thoughts on Difficulties

Hey everyone,

Newbie here - not so much as a magnetic finger to speak of (though I plan to do just that in the nearish future, and NFC/RFID implants, as needed).

Anyway, I thought I'd drop some of my interpretations on the problems faced by transdermal ports, though I do admit I would *not* be able to offer any input on solving the problems. Just tossing this out there for people who are working on the problem and for people possibly wondering why we can't do this yet. I'm not a medical professional or a scientistic person. :P These are merely my observations on the problems facing us, as a former hospital employee and sysadmin. (Also, as a germophobe and former hospital employee, I'm keenly aware of infection control issues.)

The problem as I see it is that even the biomedical industry has yet to crack this issue. Look at PIC (peripherally inserted central catheter) lines for an example. Infection is the primary concern when using PIC lines, which leads to a lot of effort to keep them clean and isolated from the environment. My concern is that we might be banging our heads off the wall if they haven't managed to get this figured out yet, considering the resources and experience they have in the game (though it's debatable how much of those resources they are actually putting into solving the problem).

Please understand, I'm not suggesting this isn't possible, nor that anyone working on this hasn't thought of it. I've just been lurking here a bit, and hadn't seen anyone explain it as such, and thought it might merit some input. Besides, one never knows what'll set off a stray spark in someone's mind and lead to a solution. (BTW, if you DO come up with a viable solution for long term infection control in transdermal applications, patent that before you put it out there! Sell it to a biomed company for millions and then use the money to fund more biohacking research!)
Tagged:

Comments

• Me and glims are working on a transdermal implant and it should be ready for testing soon. It's not actually a hard problem to crack it's actually pretty simple. See the other transdermal thread.