AIDs and zoo-transplantation

edited September 2015 in Everything else
I have just joined this site and in terms of knowledge on the subject of biohacking my horn is emerald, so i have a question. From my understanding the AIDs virus inhibits immune system activity to the point of a near standstill. My idea is that if an individual was infected with the AIDs virus that one would have very little chance of rejecting implanted tissue, if one were to exploit this facet of the disease could one theoretically put animal organs such as claws,horns,skin, or teeth without much risk of rejection from the body. What are the flaws in this theory and does it have any potential whatsoever?
Tagged:

Comments

• The big one is that you have no god damn immune system. So the second you cut into yourself bacteria get in and you die. Also aids isn't some fun thing to have. Regardless of if this would even work its not really worth discussing. The big reason I don't like viral vectors for DNA delivery is because u need immunosuppresants for then to work well. Damaging your immune system is the fastest and easiest way to get yourself hurt. Same reason I'm not a big fan of organ transplant as it exists today. When they can do it without needing to suppress the immune system and leave it intact then I'd consider it (unless of course I'm dying in which case go ham) so ya, not gonna work and I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to try it unless they were gonna die anyway and needed some way to entertain themselves
  • Also, ill double check but I believe hiv is specific to cd4 presenting cells. There are a lot of aspects of the immune system that are not inhibited and rejection would most likely still occur.
  • This may be a bit off topic, but what's the mechanism for rejection?
  • Thank you All for your input, now i know this is probably a stupid idea. If i ever get AIDs doe...
  • Terminally at least.
  • It depends on whether we're discussing cells like being advanced as above, or as the term is often regarding noncellular materials.

In terms of tissues, cells have these markers on their surface called mhc1. They are like name badges. So new tissue means a different name. A big part of this involved cells like t lymphocyte which need to read the badge. Hiv affects t cell counts which is why this seems feasible. There are other cells though like natural killer cells though that can kill without mediation by mhc complexes. Rejection of say a foreign noncellular substance involves nk cells, mast cells, as well as inflammatory responses due to local factors.

Another thing to remember here is aids vs. Hiv. There is a spectrum of immunosupression involved. If you are suppressed to the point that you can get a xenotransplant without immune response, you will die from an infection and wouldn't be a candidate for a procedure.