Sourcing medical grade silicone or another suitable bioproofing material

The subject says it all, i'm gathering the parts for my implanted edison and need something to bioproof it with.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sigma is always a good bet and it's not that expensive. I'm looking into this a bit and i'll see if i can source out something cheaper but still good

• What's your plan for the Edison? Does the coating need to be solid or squishy?
  • I plan to sterilise it and implant it into my stomach area or my arm (this depends on how bulky the final device is).

As for solid or squishy - not really relevant, only relevant bit is reliability. It'll be going over a solid object anyway.
  • Well, no. And also I dunno about your stomach. Assuming you're just putting it under your skin, you bend a LOT and you'd be constantly shifting the thing around, which it won't appreciate. Unless you intend on putting it in your bowl cavity which, please for fucks sake don't do that. For now, stick to your arm. As to squishy or solid, that is a bigger question that people really need to start paying attention to. My rule of thumb is if you're putting it somewhere soft, keep it a little bit squishy if you can. The core will keep it solid but for somethign that big you'll thank me later if you make it a bit squishy. The thing is huge and flat and will be uncomfortable. A bit of squish will help make it suck less. 
  • http://www.appliedsilicone.com/products/ they have a number of silicones rated for longterm implantation. Not exactly cheap, but not prohibitively expensive either.
  • Already came across them, beyond my budget but could be feasible if someone is interested in a group buy (or if anyone else has some already and would be willing to help me out).
  • edited September 2015
    If you want medical grade stuff you'll likely have to shell out a bit. That's actually fairly reasonably priced for the amount you get. Think how many magnets you could coat with one container of the stuff. Sigma isn't any better price wise, not really a surprise there. I haven't found anything good but I'll keep looking

edit: remarkably, on aliexpress when you look for medical grade silicon, all you get is butt plugs. 
  • Today on Budget Biohacking: Man implants Intel Edison encased in a butt plug into his abdomen. When consulted, our resident doctor looked concerned and asked only "but WHY?"
  • LOL

You can also get medical grade silicone breast forms
  • Tomorrow on Budget Biohacking: Semi serious thought, bionic breast implants?
  • Theoretically you could slice open a cheap breast form (or a butt plug!), stick your stuff in and then reseal it.

Question is how to safely reseal it......

Obvious comedy aspects aside, this could be a far cheaper source if these things actually are medical grade.
  • I'm sure a used butt plug could be sourced for cheap....
  • I learned about this website at Grindfest, thanks to Ben (I dunno your forum name!)
     https://www.atomadhesives.com/FDA-Grade-Adhesive-Food-Safe-Epoxy
    Seems like they have good stuff for a reasonable price...
  • Not every implant grade material is really suited. throwing in some old thread about about materials including some info about FDA grades and certifications. http://forum.biohack.me/discussion/comment/4527#Comment_4527
  • @Helyx that stuff is certainly within budget, but it's a little TOO cheap and that makes me nervous.

I might order some and coat something then throw it in a saline solution for a week or so and see if the coating holds up.