PAM NFC

edited August 2015 in RFID/NFC
Has anyone made use of this? http://nfc-tools.org/index.php?title=Pam_nfc

I'm looking for a cheap device I can use with it to unlock my computer (running on Debian) using the xNT. Put some thought into just buying a generic device from Amazon and trying to reverse engineer it, but i'd rather use one that's well tested.
Tagged:

Comments

• just get an arduino that can emulate a keyboard (leonardo or micro) and code up (or copy) a simple program that types in your password to log in and then hits enter whenever you scan your tag.  thats what I've done
  • Someone, I can't remember who, on this forum already has an RFID → keyboard so he or she scans their tag and the raw numbers are inserted. The procedure is to type in a regular password but before hitting enter the tag is scanned which adds 14 digits to the password. It is brilliant in my opinion because anyone who scans a tag, even a perfect copy of your hand, still needs to enter the password first.
  • @McSTUFF That's me. You pretty much nailed it, so...uh...I don't have anything to add here other than "it works well". :P
  • @zombiegristle, thank you!
    What hardware do you use? Code?
  • @McSTUFF, this device, no code. Works out of the box, anytime you scan a 125kHz chip, it prints the ID followed by a newline. Use as part of a password, season to taste.

http://www.amazon.com/Proximity-Support-Windows-Android-Operate/dp/B00MANK52S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439560927&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+rfid
  • Ordered! Thanks for the link. I had seen that dongle on Amazon before and assumed it was just like the other reader/writers.
    My plan was to take the keyboard I'm making now and add a serial port to the Arduino so I could just put an RFID → TTL reader there.

Sorry for derailing this thread. The technique zombiegristle uses is awesome in my opinion and I plan to use it myself, but the reader mentioned is for 125kHz tags only. Does anyone know of a plug-and-play NFC reader which acts like a keyboard?
  • I'm looking for basically the same thing, but NFC compatible - i'm not yet going to put another RFID in myself
  • That article makes a fair point. You could integrate a pressure switch so it only types the data when there is intentional pressure applied.
  • Add a reed switch if you have a magnet.
  • @McSTUFF, glad I could help, hope you get as much mileage out of your chip as I hve :)

As for the location causing false-scans, I positioned my reader on my monitor stand, secured with a command strip. I have to reach up and over my keyboard to get to it, preventing any accidents but keeping it within comfortable arm's reach. I've been scanning and using it this way for over a year now, never once had a false-read. I did have a reader die on me, but that's what I get for cheaping out the first time around XD The one on Amazon I linked has been working well for months.

I'm not aware of a version for NFC, and in general Windows and NFC aren't very friendly with each other for an end-user. Things like special software stacks and such, I got it working a while ago on my desktop but now I don't remember what I did. Even then, it's a read/write tool for programming cards, not for quickly scanning them and doing something based on the scan (or dumping the contents of the tag to STDOUT).